1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

cab advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassplayer48, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Hi Guys,
    ok i've got as good rig EA 800 with a 4ohm NL210 great sound however not sure the 210 is enough sometimes, playing a reasonbly loud blues band with 2 guitarists. I was thinking about maybe getting a 410 cab to use instead of the 210 however i guess another 210 is a possibility or perhaps an ea CXL 1x12 any opions on that welcome.

2. anyone?

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Get a second 210 and stand them both on end and stacked on top of each other, and I'd be willing to bet that it would be as strong as an SVT 810.

4. I have 2 x 8 ohm NL210 with the iamp800 which seems to be perfect from a powering perspective. Each cab sees 400watts. I think a single NL210 4 ohm cab seeing 800watts may be pushing it a bit too hard. You really need to be careful. People reckon they can hear when the cab is hitting it's limits but that doesn't mean you aren't going to damage it anyway. If I were you I would be adding another NL210 4 ohm box for those gigs which you need to push a bit of volume. That way each box would be seeing 500watts from the iamp800 which is a better situation to be in as the NL210 is rated at 500watts RMS.
    An 8 ohm CXL112 wuold also work well as each driver when combined with the 4 ohm NL210 would see an even amount of power distribution ie 300watts each approx.

5. Hi thanks for that, yeah i think you are right it might be a bit much expecting the NL210 to do the job, and also pushing 800 into it might not be the best idea, i wonder what the difference is in tone with the CXL 12? bit like a 15 i guess.

When your playing louder gigs whats your gain master settings?

6. Personally, i'd be adding another NL210 4 ohm cab so that you get a more balanced sound. The CXL112 will give you more roundness and depth to your tone, but if you had an 8 ohm NL210 it would have worked better with the CXL112. That's my guess.

My gains for the loud gigs vary from 1-3 o'clock. I normally try to light up the orange led lights without hitting the red peak light. My volume can go from about 2 o'clock close to 5 o'clock and the thing doesn't seem to sweat at all and stays clear as.