Cab choice help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by H2ODog, Feb 1, 2009.

1. H2ODog

H2ODog

Sep 30, 2003
    Roseville, CA
    Ok, so i'm a newbie at heads and amps. I just bought a Genz Benz Shuttle 6 (has not arrived yet) and need to find a cab for it. Here is my situation. I play with a group two guitars and a drummer. What cab would be suited for rock/funk/blues type of music?

We have some large house parties that we will be doing staring this spring so what would be suitable size also.

2. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    The bassist for one of my favorite local bar/large party bands plays a Shuttle 6 with Avatar 210/115. Great tone.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    A single 4 ohm 2x12 would also kill.

4. H2ODog

H2ODog

Sep 30, 2003
    Roseville, CA

Yea, that is what i'm leaning towards, what brand? anything that stands out?

Thx.

5. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    I play the Genz Benz NEOX-212T cabs for a nice modern tone, but Genz also has the Uber-212 cabs that just came out which are supposed to have more of a "old-school" tone to them. Avatar, Bergantino, Schroeder, Aguilar... all different flavors of good. It sounds to me like you want something with a slightly bigger bottom, so perhaps the Uber-212 or Bergantino would be right up your alley.

6. H2ODog

H2ODog

Sep 30, 2003
    Roseville, CA
    True, i would like something that can hit the lows i'll look into those, thx.

7. If you have the cash and you want an excellent cab that can give that clear yet warm tone and give you those lows I've found that the Mesa 2x12 is pretty killer albeit pricy.

8. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Epifani. Those two brands sound superb together. An epi 212 would be a great amp with the 6.0

Edit: Just a note... the shuttle like a cab that has a full bass tone, so the schroeders are not a great match IME.

9. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    I knew I would forget something cool :)

10. mntngrown

mntngrown

Aug 18, 2007
    The lost Sierra
    I have volume to spare with the 56lb Avatar 2x12, and the price is right. They even have a scratch and dent site on their web page. I special ordered the line-x spray coat for durability, and it was still cheap. Good lows with the shuttle and MB LMII also. Have not compared to other cabs though. I have played it with a loud drummer and 2 guitars.no prob.

11. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

1. Funk/rock/blues has a wide range of bass tones. You would do well to buy a cab that allows some flexibility.

2. Your musical taste, style, and needs may change in a few years. Avoid getting stuck with a one-trick pony.

3. Listen, listen, listen to cabinets and decide for yourself. Whatever we recommend works for us, not necessarily for you. It's your money; be sure you buy what works for you.

I have plenty of volume and tone with a single Eden D112XLT. Is that right for you? I don't know.

12. H2ODog

H2ODog

Sep 30, 2003
    Roseville, CA
    True and good advice, i will follow that but also since this is my first time getting a cab i wanted some input to narrow the field. As you said the final choice is mine but thanks to all who are helping me along :)

13. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    What's your budget?

Also, what will you use to transport the cabinet?

Are you interested in two cabs? Maybe a 2x10 and a 1x15?

Some of the current cabs may not get the "old school" tone that may be best for the music you play.

Here's a youtube link you might want to check out of Shuttle demo by Ed Friedland:

14. H2ODog

H2ODog

Sep 30, 2003
    Roseville, CA
    Thx Stumbo,

I have seen that video before. My budget is to keep in under 1K, have one cab not two, would tend to want a cab that sounds more old school than modern (if that helps any). I have a Scion Xb so with the back seat down i have plenty of room.

15. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
  16. H2ODog

H2ODog

Sep 30, 2003
    Roseville, CA
    I play a Lakland Skyline JO5 and i have a Fender MIA P5 on the way, no flats.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021