1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cab covering alternative to Duratex??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by homeby5, Oct 14, 2013.

1. homeby5

homeby5

Aug 21, 2013
    Key Largo
    Hey Guys,
    I was in Lowes today getting some hardware when I saw a couple finishes that might work for covering speaker cabs. One is by Olympic called "Rescue It" and the other product is by Rustoleum called "Restore". Both seemed to provide a thick permanent waterproof texture that you roll on. Technically they are classified as a stain but after examining some samples they look and feel like a thick permanent covering.
    Has anyone ever tried these before? They both seem to be about 1/2 the price of Duratex and are available in as many colors as paint.
    Thanks for putting up with my newbie questions:) I did try a search on these products to no avail.

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Hey WELCOME to TalkBass! I have no idea if they would work, or how they would look if they did. But if you try it I would love to know myself. Seems like an interesting alternative. So post a report and pics if you give it a go, please.

3. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Sounds like interesting stuff, especially colors at half the price.

4. astack

astack

Nov 12, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    Sub'd out of curiosity.

5. Can you get a small amount of each? Can get it, put it on some wood and then run some stress tests and find out ;) I'd be interested to know since I plan to a cab: sub'd

6. homeby5

homeby5

Aug 21, 2013
    Key Largo
    I doubt it but if you go in Lowes they have sample pieces of wood that is coated with the stuff so you get a real feel for what it is like. Let me ask, does anyone know what a standard Marshall of Fender amp is covered with? I believe it would be as tough as that with a few coats.

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I've used the Restore for its intended use which is recovering old wood decks/patios. Worked pretty well there. It has a fine sand mixed in for some texture. It's hard to get the texture even with anything other than the textured roller for the product, so, add $15 to your cost.

It is waterbased, cleans up easy, not much chemical fumes, etc.

You have the stuff tinted/colored at the store when you buy, there's 20-30 colors to choose from.

I just put it on a deck a couple months ago, seems to be good but it hasn't been long enough to know anything about weathering/peeling, etc.

I'm going to try some on a pair of vocal wedges that are now ratfur and see how it goes. $80 for 4 gallons beats the hell out of $50 for 1 gallon of Duratex or truckbed liner if you have a lot of cabs to do.

My main concern would be the sandy texture scraping knuckes under something like a strap handle while carrying it. Other than that, seems to be fairly tough stuff, at least when it's new-ish.

8. I believe those, as well as most cabs, are covered in tolex. (Though it's said durability ranges from company to company)

9. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    IIRC, it came in 1 gallon and 4 gallon buckets at Home Depot. Seems like tough enough stuff for cabs. Probably come down to whether or not you like the texture or color choices.

FWIW, 4 gallons got me 2 coats on a 15x20 outdoor deck, so 1 gallon would be plenty for a large cab or 2-3 small ones? Just guessing there. I'd do 2 coats. Shouldn't need a third unless you screw up the texture on the second one. I slopped on the first coat and let it soak in/dry for a day, then did the second one to give consistent color and texture.

Stir it up often while applying or you'll get spots that look more "sandy" than others.

10. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Tolex is a brand name for cloth-backed vinyl. There are various grade from " cheap, tears easy " to " super tough ".

If you're looking at a fabric store, "marine grade" cloth backed vinyl like they use on boat seats is pretty good, tougher stuff. It'll be about twice the cost per yard as the softer prettier stuff, but that cheaper stuff will tear a lot easier.

11. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    This would be my concern, too.
    Not just scraped knuckles. Car seats, door jambs, other gear packed with it, etc.

12. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Put something similar on a deck last year. Paint it from the can for handrails and such. Add walnut shells where you want traction. Stays looking new, through weather, and walking on it.

13. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    I saw an advertisement for one of these, (don't recall which), and thought the same thing. How does the finish sample look, and feel, compared to Duratex?

14. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    I have no experience with either of those finishes, but I used Duratex on my fEARful 12/6 and highly recommend it. Couldn't be easier to apply, dries fast, durable as hell and touch-ups are undetectable. It's the perfect speaker coating. I did three coats on my cab with one pint of Duratex, which cost $15 from speakerhardware.com. It's black, of course, but you used to be able to get custom colors of Duratex from the mfr in the gallon size.

15. Blankandson

Blankandson Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Gallatin, Tennessee
    I'd never thought about coverings until I began looking into building my own cab. Once I saw the price for Duratex I began searches online for cabs with natural finishes, or light stains. Don't have any photos saved but there are some really nice looking cabs finished in just a nice stain. And didn't Carvin sell a covering some years ago in orange? What did that sell for?