Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cab purchase and thinking ahead

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by toug, Jun 27, 2005.

1. toug

toug

Apr 12, 2005
    Rhode Island
    I've owned a bass for roughly 3 years but have only played intensely for the past year or so.

I'm in a band that gigs about twice-three times a month(bars), and until now I have gotten by borrowing my drummers Westbury combo amp for shows. I have my dinky little Crate starter-off-combo at home ;). Needless to say I have needed an upgrade for a while.

I started the other day by winning a Workingman 4004 on eBay. I was originally going to buy a behringer bx3000t, but decided against it because of my prediciment on cabs.

I'm certain I will be purchasing an Avatar cab, but didn't know whether to go b212 or b210, but more importantly 8 ohm or 4 ohm.

I'm trying to think down the road for a time when I'll need more power, and I'm thinking whatever cab I buy now I'll just buy the other later. However, at that point, will the 4004 still be useful? If so I'm thinking I'll go 8 ohm for my cab purchase. But if not, I may as well go 4 ohm for now and get the most juice out of my amp as I can and just get a completely new setup when I need it. Also, the 4004 is rated 400wats @4ohm and 260 @ 8ohm. We play indie rock, some mellow and some can get loud. How much of that 140W difference will I feel if I go 8 ohm?

I know there is no right or wrong answer here, and it all depends on how much I see my band playing/myself playing. I'm just seeking suggestions and guidance from those with experience.

Thanks!

2. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Go with the Avatar 2x12 and get it in 8 ohms configuration. Then when you're ready get a Avatar 2x10, or maybe even a 4x10 at 8 ohms and you'll be set.

3. 44me

44me

Jun 17, 2002
    Bedford, NH USA
    I agree – I’ve played plenty of rooms with just 200W into two 10’s. I think you’d have a decent rig for small rooms (most bars) at moderate volume. Definitely go with the 8 ohm cab. You can barely notice the difference between 260W and 400W. Adding the second 4ohm cab later will make a very noticeable difference.

- John

4. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I concur with the recommendations for the 8 ohm cab. Why buy a 4 ohm cab if you think you may eventually replace it with two 8 ohm cabs?

An 8 ohm now will motivate you to buy that second cabinet, giving you the end result you know you really want.

5. Get the 212 in 8 ohm.The 210 will not cut it at all in bigger rooms.Even in small rooms the 210 might not cut it all the time.You'll be much happier with the 212 to start.