1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cab recommendations with Mesa Walkabout Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by matheo, Sep 24, 2008.

1. matheo

matheo

Nov 5, 2006
    Hi,

I bought a mesa Walkabout head 2 weeks ago and I will soon buy a cab to go with it. Have you experienced a great match between this head and a particular cab?

What would you recommend?

Thank you,

Matheo

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    AccuGroove Tri210L without a doubt!!!

The mids on the Walkabout are yummy and the ported 6 in. midrange section of the Tri210L is a great match.

I used my Walkabout briefly with a Bag End D12X-D (2x12 with a coaxial tweeter in the top 12) and didn't care for it.

I also have a little Sonic 1x12 cabinet (think EV TL806 style box) with a cast frame Eminence in it and it sounds good too...but I prefer the AccuGroove.

3. matheo

matheo

Nov 5, 2006
    Thanks for the tip. The thing is I don't have 1000$ for my cab. My budget is maximum 500$ :)

4. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    My Walkabout works great with any good cabinet, so it's just a matter of what your preferences are. The Scout cabinets are particularly good. The Eden 4x10 sounds good for a 10" The Eden 1x15 was very nice. The Yorkville 1x15 surprisingly good. There were a few others I used mine with.

5. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    Scout cabs and I have used mine with my Aguilar GS410 and an Ampeg PR410 and it sounded great. My favorite of the 410's is the Aggie. I looked for a Mesa 410 but couldn't find one but an Mpulse sounds great with a Mesa 410 and I imagine the Walkabout would as well.

6. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    That's where the used cabinet market can be your best friend!

Actually, there's a Tri210L (FT at this point in time) in the classifieds (not mine btw).

7. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I use my Walkabout head with the following cabs and love the results with all of them:

Mesa 15 combo cab (what the head came with)
    Berg HT 322
    Berg HT 115 (was a great small rig for an outdoor gig last Saturday!)
    Accugroove Whappo (really sounds good)

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The Scout cabs are greatness, but with only 1 spkr, it's limited. A good 212 is much better.

9. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    for 200 bones you should jump on that. then save up for another 112. someone had a powerhouse 112 for sale in the classifieds.

10. MarkMyWordsXx

MarkMyWordsXx

May 17, 2006
    id stay away from avatar 12s for this one, mine hates my avater 12 for whatever reason. they just arent a good pair

11. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

You might want to check out that head with 2 - Bag End
    S 15D cabs....300 watts with 2 x high quality 15's ..it works out real well..:hyper:

12. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    If it's working I'd get it. Amazing for a single 12". The cabinet without the head weighs about 37 lbs.

13. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    +1! That's an excellent price for a really good cab, IMO. I bet you could find a Bag End 15 for around $300 to put underneath and have yourself a killer rig.:bassist:

14. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    Matheo,
    I'd stay away from single 8ohm cabs with the WA. While I use and love my WA 12 combo completely, the WA will only put out ~165w into 8ohms. This might work for you, but it will significantly limit the total tone value of the WA IMO.

I'd be looking at 4ohm cabs, like the actual WA 12 box that the head fits into in the combo version. These show up used from time to time (in fact, I thought the Folmeister had some for sale not too long ago ??).

The Mesa Scout cabs are also very nice. They are made as extensions for the WA combos and come in 1x12 or 1x15 versions (I have a 1x15 scout that I use with my WA 12). Kind of hard to find though.

4ohm 2x10's, or 2x12's, there are many good makers Mesa (of course) Aguilar, Eden, Trace, Genz etc. might also get you what you want too, depending on your volume and size goals.

Good Luck

15. A few years back the Walkabout w/ 2 Aggie GS112's was a popular choice on this site. Honestly, I seem to remember quite a few people saying that the Mesa worked really well with a lot of Aguilar cabinets. On that note, there's a GS 212 in the classifieds for $400 and someone else selling 2 s210's for the same amount.

Mike

16. matheo

matheo

Nov 5, 2006
    Thanks to you all!

I found a AccuGroove Tri110L for 450$. Would it sound good even if it's 8ohms?

17. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I have no experience with that cab, but it ought to sound good. The question is, can you get enough volume for your needs? 165 watts into a 10" cab might not do it for you, depending on what you plan to do with it.

That's the thing with Accugroove--I think most folks are impressed with the quality of their cabs, but they're definitely near the very top of the price range for what you get. You ought to be able to get a lot more cab for $500 or less.

18. matheo

matheo

Nov 5, 2006
    It would be a pratice cab and I'd like to be able to play small gigs with it if possible. Any other opinions on that?

19. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Depends on how small... In July, I played an outdoor show (alright it was in a friend's backyard) with four loud guitars (not stupid loud, but loud enough), two drummers and a keyboard player. I used two rigs, my Walkabout with the Tri210L and an ancient Woodson rig (150 watt head and 2x15 cabinet that belongs to a good friend). My stuff was on the "other" side of the stage area and those who were in that vicinity said that it sounded great! I don't know that I had it turned up more than half way.

I don't know if it would have been loud enough to go it alone, but I would have liked to try.

The midrange detail on AccuGroove cabinets is a beautiful thing. If you bought the Tri110L and it wasn't enough, a good 1x15 (which can be had for well under $200) would round it out nicely I'd think.