1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cab stand?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by edgewise, Oct 2, 2008.

1. edgewise

edgewise

Feb 23, 2007
    Not sure if this is the right forum, but here goes...

I sat in with a group recently and they insisted on putting my cabinet on one of those speaker stands that elevates the cab about 2 feet off the ground.

I wasn't going to argue, unfortunately it was a pretty loud gig so I can't really say whether it made any difference.

Any thoughts on this? Do you guys do this or just plunk the cab on the ground?

If it matters, the cab was a genz-benz neox 1x12 (which rocks!!!).

Cheers!

-EW

2. It does two things:
    1. Gets the cab closer to your ears. So unless you have ears in the back of your knees, it makes it easier to hear.
    2. Reduces coupling of the cab to the floor. Can reduce boominess.

3. The only time I like to elevate my cab is if I'm having trouble hearing myself. Sometimes on smaller stages I'm standing in front of my rig and the sound is hitting me in the legs so lifting it a couple of feet helps to hear better. As far as out front sound quality I don't think it would really make much of a difference. The only issue I could where elevating would help is if its a hollow stage that's really booming from the bass.

4. Apparently slyjoe and I were thinking on the same wavelength there:)

5. One other thing I forgot - it makes your, uhm, "rig" look bigger.:D

6. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I'm 6'3" and am often crammed up against my rig on a small stage. I usually use this stand while playing; it also makes it easier to adjust the amp:

IMG_0856.

The stand is a Quik-lok ws-540 IIRC. It folds down small and is pretty sturdy. The minimum height is around 2 feet. Costs around $100. I can hear my cab really well.

7. When I was a kid, I used to use 2 cabs. A 4x10 and a Triad (15+10+horn). Some days the rig sounded pants wettingly awesome. Some days it sounded "good." I don't know how long it was until I drew a correlation to the the fact that on the days it sounded frickin' awesome were the days that the Triad was on top- and that I was hearing the 15 more than the 10s.

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I do the same... with the same stand. My cab is a 2x12"

rig20080612-1.

9. I need to get me one of those stands. I've been looking for something portable like that. Its amazing how much better you hear yourself raising it up a few feet.

10. Can you fit a keg of beer under that thing ? :D

In all seriousness, I too have been looking for something like this, as I play through an Epi UL310 on some occasions, which is a rather short cab. The other night I actually stuck my rack underneath it to elevate it. It helped in being able to hear it better, but was a pain in the *** adjusting my head.