Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by flury, Jun 11, 2004.

1. flury

May 21, 2004
    what kind of cables do you guys use? I just bought a Hosa cable from zzounds and its horrible. It causes unwanted noise whenever its movied or touched. Think its faulty or just bad quality?

what cables do you guys swear by? I need a 20 footer with one right angle at the end.
  2. It's possible that you have a bad cable, maybe it has a loose solder joint or a broken conductor inside. Even the cheapest of cables shouldn't crackle when moved or touched, and Hosa is a respectable brand as far as interconnects.

It's also possible you have a loose jack or oxidized jack. Try to isolate the problem by holding the cable steady, and wiggle different parts to see where the noise comes from.
  3. A LOT of Hosa's cables have noise problems, especially since they've got sealed plastic jacks. My theory is the hot plastic partially melts the solder joint on the connector and makes it go "cold" when the jack mold is made. Get a cable with metal connectors, preferably Switchcraft. Sure you'll pay twice or more what the Hosa costs, but it won't sound like Rice Krispies when you move.
  4. TheAmpNerd

Apr 25, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I build my own. I use the hi end mogomi cable itself and you the
    nicer G&H cable ends. (they have the solid copper core with a
    copper tip).

I would keep your cable under 20 feet, preferably 18 or 15 if possible.

If you're bummed out by the Hofsa cable I can build you one to
    meet the DoD standards: ANSI/J-STD-001, IPC-HDBK-001, IPC-A-610C.

In short these standards are far in excess of most consumer level quality and are for mission critical applications...where
    a malfunction will cause loss of life; (i.e., aircraft, missles,
    submarines, etc.)

So what does this mean for you?

It won't f*** up for a long long time. ; )

Feel free to PM me if needed. They aren't cheap, but then
    you'll have it until the cable wears out. ; )
  5. flury

May 21, 2004
  6. main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I use Klotz cables out of Germany and am delighted with their performance and clarity.
  7. main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    Remember, your signal chain is only as good as its weakest link.
  8. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Monster Bass Cables and George Ls. Also, recently splurged on a 15' Zaolla cable. I've very happy with both.
  9. LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    I use Horizon and Fatso-Flex.......They are not the best, but I have never had problems with them.... George-L's are recommended by a lot of people I know.
  10. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Klotz cable and Neutrik plugs.
  11. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Planet Waves
    Pro Co

are all excellent cables.
  12. modflea

Apr 26, 2004
    Lafayette, LA
    I took me a while (they're pricey) but I switched everything over to Monster Bass cables and I couldn't be happier. No problems and good sound.
  13. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I've never had anything but good luck with cables from ProCo, Horizon, and Whirlwind, among others.

Cables aren't rocket science, but some of them are marketed that way.

And there's also a TBer who makes custom cables from good wire and connectors, but his name escapes me right now.
  14. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    I definitely use cables and I love them! Without them, I don't sound nearly as professional.
  15. flury

May 21, 2004
    I ditched the Hosa cable for a CBI cable. I get the same problem. I can lift up the wire while plugged and drop it and you can hear it crackle through the amp. Is this normal or what? Two cable have done this then I have this braided no name cable here that does not cause any unwanted noise when moved at all. Strange...
  16. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Ah, I found it. Pro Cables N Sound:
  17. flury

May 21, 2004
    the cable that works good has two straight connectors but the two that make noise have atleast one right connector...could that be the cause?
  18. Planet Waves are the best cables I've ever come across. They're cheap (even in the UK) and you literally *cannot* cut them with a pair of garden sheers. They're magnetically shielded and bound in steel mesh. Unbreakable, high quality and cheap.
  19. No. You may simply have a cold solder joint on your input jack and the movement causes the noise. FWIW, I have also had bad noise performance with CBI cables, too.