1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cabronita bass neck on a std precision bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mr_Martin, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin

Jul 31, 2014
    Germany
    Does the cabronita neck fit to a standard p-bass body (different neck pocket)?

neck.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  2. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    The cabro has a square heel, the P has a rounded heel.
    The width is the same, but there would be a gap.

3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    And the holes won't line up. They'll need to be redrilled. But other than the gap between the bottom of the square heel and the rounded body route, it'll be fine.

electracoyote likes this.
  4. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    I think in this case the neck would need sanded to fit. It's been a while since I swapped strat and tele necks but IIRC Round fits square with a gap, square fits round with some sanding.

covermego and blindrabbit like this.
  5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I've done the swap being discussed here. It fits perfectly other than the gap and the need for new holes.

6. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    Did you check the intonation up the neck, or do something else to compensate for it? It sounds like your neck would be too far out that way You shouldn't need to redrill the holes on a Fender neck swap if the neck heel is in the same place.

A square tele neck fits on a strat with gaps If you redrill the holes too, but the intonation is off then because the neck is pushed further out from the body by the rounded pocket corners.

So the square carbronita neck in the round p pocket would need sanded on the necks corners to fit in the right place and not change your scale length /mess with intonation up the neck

A rounded p bass neck should fit the cabronita body with a gap showing in the body corners and no intonation issues. But it looks like that's the opposite direction OP is heading.

blindrabbit likes this.
  7. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Yup. I had it on a few different bodies. They only ever required minor intonation tweaks.

8. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    Cool Id love to see pics of that. TBH Id love to see video of you playing open string/ 12th fret.

9. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I had the one neck on a few bodies. All long gone.

10. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    The difference in length is only 1/8" or so. Easily within the adjustment range of most bass bridges.
    Like you say, only minor adjustments needed.
    I can see a Strat not having the needed range, maybe.

mpdd and Rabidhamster like this.
  11. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    Bummer. Simple saddle adjustment definitely doesn't work for a guitar, so I wanna see it work on a bass now. I hope the OP does the mod and posts video. Looking at the g&l in front of me it does seem to have just enough travel room that it would intimate if the neck was moved out that much.

12. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Aside from the little crescent moon shaped gap between the body and neck, it looked great. I had it on a pickguardless black jazz body. It was beautiful. Wish I could find a pic.

13. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2008
    NY
    I've rigged those two up before.Not the cab but a tele neck all the same.Laid the p bass neck heel on the tele heel and drew a line.Sanded away what was outside the line.Put tele necks on strat all the time back in the day

Rabidhamster likes this.
  14. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    IMG_0119.JPG If your just wanting that Cabronita headstock style just shave it like I did this one...

15. Bodeeni

Bodeeni Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    NYC
    I use a rotary rasp. It is a file on a drill bit. Very easy way to do minor adjustments to a neck pocket, including squaring it up to minimize a gap. These things are good for truss rod slots in pickguards.
    download.

16. username1

username1

Dec 28, 2005
    alberta canada
    I used a dremel tool and just routed the neck cavity corners and pickguard. got it to fit perfectly and the screw holes lined up perfectly then also.

17. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin

Jul 31, 2014
    Germany
    Thank you all!

18. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Someone bumped an old thread I made about P necks on J bodies so I finally found the pic of my cab neck on a j body. I miss this bass.
    IMG_0418.JPG

Dark Horse likes this.