1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

CAD Software

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Hopkins, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Is there anyone else that just absolutely cannot wrap their head around CAD software. I downloaded eMachineshop because its free and it was recommended from someone on the forum. The longer I messed around with it, the more I felt like a complete idiot. So I guess I will be sticking with my Yard stick and butchers paper for my full scale drawings.

Has anybody else been in the same situation? Or is this just some kind of a weird mental block for me?

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    While it is very intuitive, it is not what I would call a DIY software. Your best bet would be to take a course at a local smaller school. You could even do an online course.

3. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    I'm a PC user, but thanks for the info.

4. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    At this stage in my life I don't really have time for school. I tried to learn it myself, like I have learned most things, but I believe this is beyond me. There is a CAD guy at work, I might ask him if he will show me a few things if we ever have any down time.

My stone and chisel has been working well for me in my design process, I guess if it aint broke, don't fix it applies in this situation :D

BeeTL likes this.
  5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Aw come on man! You can do it. I am 42 years old, a father of two small children, a gigging musician, run a business, and in school full time.

Really though. You could spend a few hours a week on an online course. There are just too many options to "figure out" on your own. But, like everything else, you will pick the ones that work for you and stick to them over time.

6. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    I'm kinda the opposite ... I am a Revit Expert ... I have also worked in Autocad, Arris, and Microstation ... That is how I make my living ...

7. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Online would be my only option, as I work shift work in my "real" job, so my schedule is kind of all over the place. If I were to go back to school it would be to get my instrument tech certificate and certification. Though at the moment, my career has kind of shifted away from that path, I am sure this job wont last forever and I will be back working in the instrumentation/electrical field again.

8. I have no problems doing draft sketches. I use DraftSight for drawing and Blender for 3D stuff.

I learned blender on my own, but I got autocad lessons (basic ones, mind you) in an engineering camp. Super simple once you understand what things do.

9. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Rhino is available for both Mac and PC. I haven't used it, but most likely the tools, menus and methods are the same.

10. SaintMez

SaintMez Commercial User

Jan 3, 2010
    Meridian, idaho
    Blood Brothers Guitars - Luthier, Porter Guitars - Contractor
    I'm with you. I like the CAD renderings but don't have time to dedicate to learn the software and would rather use the little time I have for building actual guitars rather than virtual. My computer nerd brother calls me a Troglodyte.

11. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    for me, CAD work pays those bills that bass building doesn't yet cover. CATIA V5 & V6 are my main gigs, with Rhino in third place, and UG, Intergraph, AutoCAD, and Microstation filling the gaps in ever decreasing quantities. outside of a couple old Unix boat anchors, all of my CAD work is performed using PC based hardware.

CAD is simply another tool to be learned and put to use. being fluent in more than one CAD tool adds value to your future employment desirability for engineering/designer and even manufacturing type job roles. having actual experience building what you design and designing what you build is a life experience asset that the majority of engineers I work with are lacking.

all the best,

R

Freekmagnet likes this.
  12. suraj

suraj

Oct 1, 2008
    Mumbai, India
    I would highly recommend rhino for PC. The way I see it, its quite intuitive. If you want to draw a line, type "line", or "curve" for curves, "circle" and so on. A few clicks here and there and you've accomplished the most basic knowledge required. It is very similar to autocad in the 2d interface, although it is much more powerful and versatile in the 3d department. Autocad on the other hand is quite quick for just 2d drafting. It does take some time and tinkering to get to a usable stage, but look at online tutorials and download trial versions to see what your comfortable with. Since your just getting in and may need only 2d initially, I'd recommend autocad.

The thing with most people who are comfortable with all this CAD stuff is because they have a background in it. Since you do not, it is perfectly normal to find it difficult. Just takes some time and youtube tutorials. It is helpful to know more than one software to really use cad to its potential, but just the 2d drafting designing and printing being the basic first step still has its advantages.

An online course or a friend who can teach you would make things a lot faster.

13. Was going to chime in about Rhino, looks like you guys beat me to it. Really powerful and reasonably intuitive. Available on Mac and PC, I've used it extensively on both platforms.

I'm glad those vids I made are helping people. The links in the original thread are broken, I'll update.

14. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Is Rhino free? Because I don't want to pay for something I may not use

15. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    I decided to give it another go, and figured a few things out. Here is the first CAD drawing I have ever done using free software from http://www.emachineshop.com/. Even though it wasn't the Rhino, Beauchene's tutorial was very helpful.

Untitled_zpsc63ec73c.

I can't figure out how to convert it to a PDF file so I can take it and have it printed out full size. I know its a little rough, but it will work for what I need it to do. I probably will still be designing my stuff by hand on butcher paper for a while though. What took me an hour to do by hand took me about eight hours to do on my computer.

Freekmagnet likes this.
  16. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/Writer.asp

It installs as a printer device. So you go into eMachineShop and click print:

[​IMG]

Just make sure to select a paper size big enough (I usually use ARCH D and ARCH E) and that the "Actual Size" radio button is selected. Then you can take the PDF to a FedEx Office store or some other place with a large format printer and you're all set.

ALSO: When you change the paper size, you have to click the "Setup" button next to "CutePDF Writer" and select the same paper size there too. Otherwise it'll print to letter every time.

I found a local sign shop that has been making templates for me, and their CAM software takes PDF files as input. So...win.

17. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Very cool man, thanks for the help.

18. I make my living in the CADD world. In fact, I just pumped out the design for a 50 lot subdivision in the last six working days. Everyone in the office said it wasn't possible, but I know a few things they don't about the software we use.

lowsound

19. When in doubt... YouTube. I use Draft Sight. My dad taught me a little about CAD. If I can't figure something out, I look on YouTube or call him :D
    I have noticed that if I don't use it often, I tend to forget even the most basic stuff.