1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

CALLOUSES

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by gjooro, Apr 11, 2006.

1. gjooro

gjooro

Mar 27, 2006
    Croatia
    Every bass player have callouses so I do. They are formed after playing bass for some time.
    Sometimes when I play longer or play hard(Especially pull-offs) my left hand fingertips hurt even though i have hard callauses.
    So does anybody have any suggestions how to help your fingertips to heal faster?
    :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

2. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer

Feb 25, 2006
    Kent UK
    Surgical Spirit

dunno what the americans call it though

The stuff I have contains industrial methylated spirits and it will toughen up your finger tips

available in the chemist (drugstore for the colonials)

3. Go buy some Krazy Glue and douse your fingertips with it.

4. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    i dunno if this is good for your fingers....but i've been brought into a compitition among guitar players before. there were 10 of us (bass and guitar) and a space heater. Whoever could keep the tips of his fingers on the heater the longest won 10 bucks. and of course..i won, being a bass player..my right hand finger calouses helping me.......the next couple days i noticed that the tips of my fingers were much harder and it was easier to play bass

5. Agreed on heat and super glue suggestions.

6. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I get callouses only when I play guitar - and it's been years since I played regularly. But almost never by playing bass - which I do play regularly...

Those skinny guitar strings have a way of really digging into one's fingertips, but not so with the bass. So my fingers are virtually callous-free...

MM

7. appler

appler Guest

Play more.

8. +1

If you're still getting blisters, your callouses aren't yet hard enough.. let the blisters heal, and don't break them - when they heal, play even more.

9. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    When I swithced from guitar to bass, the first thing I noticed was that the callouses are in different places. For guitar they're more in the tips of the fingers. Callouses come from playing time, but playing until you do damage (blisters) is counter-productive. Play 'til it hurts, but then give your fingers a break and a chance to heal. If they hurt during a gig, suck it up and heal another day.

10. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Unless my definition of 'callous' is wrong...

I greatly-avoid what I've considered to be callouses! I work ointment into my finger-tips every day! Lately it's been 'Aquaphor' brand (my wife suggested it), but for years before it's been a Mary Kay product - I can't remember the full name, but it's "night"-something; it looks like orange axle grease.

As far as I understand, a 'callous' is like 'hard skin' or 'thick skin'; like a skin-thig! The skin on my finger tips is pretty-much baby-soft, but the tissue behind it is tough like tire rubber or something. ..Now for the first year-or-two of playing bass I got definate callouses - like the kind that would show-up on a finger print; now-days I pluck with much-more refinement and finesse (I'd like to think!), and if I had callouses like that NOW, I'm sure it would screw-up my playing a little.

The only place I have what I'd consider a 'true callous' is on my thumping-thumb. This makes sense, as I haven't been thumping that much (working on it, but still most of the band-songs that I play and practice are finger-funk style).

Is my definition wrong? Is soft skin with uh.. 'hard meat'... (well - you know what I mean) considered a "callous"?

Joe

11. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Callouses I've noticed will wear off and then you will have tougher skin to play, but it won't be hard and dry. But still slightly "soft"

This IMO is ideal. Keep in mind that everybody's body/ skin type are different.

12. MikeRS

MikeRS

Aug 16, 2005
    Clinton, MA
    I always had callouses since I worked in carpentry even before I started the bass and all the work I had to do, digging, hammering and sanding under my father in his business built them up big time, so when I started when I was 10 I didn't have to form any.

To help them heal, I've never had that problem, mine tend to peel back and I usually just pick the dead skin off and they feel like nothing happened, even on the plucking hand since I can't feel my left hand.

13. I've been playing for awhile but really don't have any outstanding callouses. I would shy away from trying to burn or superglue your fingers. I'm no doctor but it certainly sounds like something could go awry. +1 on play more. Try turning up your amp and playing more lightly if you find yourself hurting.