1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can anyone ID these flatwounds for me?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jneil, Oct 24, 2010.

1. jneil

jneil

Jun 28, 2000
    Sorry, I'm sure this has been asked before, but I did a little searching and got nothing (or rather I got too much, but not the answer to my question)...

I got a '77 P-Bass today which came with a set of flats on it, apparently a 40-100 set (I had it calipered at Rudy's). The silk at the ends is black and the ball ends are brass. Not all brands listed on juststrings.com have a 40-100 gauge, so that narrows things down a bit. Do D'Addarios have colored ball ends - that should eliminate them, right?

Obviously I like the way these feel, and I don't want to go through an expensive round of trying all the brands to get back here when it's time for a string change...

Thanks for any suggestions!

2. puddin tame

puddin tame

Aug 14, 2010
    d'addarios have coloured ends

3. jneil

jneil

Jun 28, 2000
    Great, that's what I thought.

4. jneil

jneil

Jun 28, 2000
    That seems to leave these:

Roto SM77
    Pyramid PYR_BFS40
    and
    Sadowsky BLK-FLAT40 (which juststrings doesn't carry, so there might be others, too)

5. jneil

jneil

Jun 28, 2000
    Of course, if you recently traded in a walnut brown '77 P-Bass to Sam Ash in NYC, you might know what's on this thing and we can skip this whole exercise :^)

6. jneil

jneil

Jun 28, 2000
    Anyone out there using these flats who can let me know the colors of the silk?

Thanks!

7. Sadowsky Black Label stainless flats have grey silk, I seem to recall. I thought the roto's were red, but not sure about SM series.

8. uncle Bob

uncle Bob

Sep 16, 2010
    Drector of Sales LaBella Strings
    LA BELLA's

9. Luckie

Luckie

Jan 1, 2010
    Northfield MN
    The man knows what he's talking about. ;)

10. tk421

tk421

Mar 3, 2010
    middletown, oh
    my ROTO 77's = bright red silk

11. jneil

jneil

Jun 28, 2000
    I wondered about that, but according to juststrings.com the La Bella Deep Talking flats come in
    39-96 extra light
    43-104 light
    45-105 standard
    49-109 medium
    (and some other bigger sizes)

I don't know how accurate a caliper reading is, but I would think on flats it would be pretty tight, so the reading of 40-100 should be pretty close.

Isn't Sadowsky made by La Bella? That's why I thought they may be Sadowskys, ie, La Bellas in a guage not offered by La Bella itself:
    4-String Light SBF40 40-60-80-100

12. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    New Rotos 77 Blue silk
    Status Flats Black Silk
    D'Addario chromes Blue silks
    Fender Flats Naked

13. jneil

jneil

Jun 28, 2000
    Thanks for the leads, guys!

PS Sadowsky himself confirmed the grey silk...