1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can anyone ID this Yamaha?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ToadWarrior, Aug 5, 2012.

1. ShiftyShift

ShiftyShift

Mar 12, 2012
    Looks like another POS japanese bass. I wouldn't buy it, unless you plan on doing a full setup (fretwork, lots of truss rod adjustment (If it has an adjustable truss rod), probably rewiring) I wouldn't mess with it if I were you, you could get a Teisco with similar looks and better playability for cheaper.

I could be wrong though, but the vintage Yamaha's I have played are more like planks with strings than basses IMO IME

2. jhg7971

jhg7971

Aug 5, 2012
    I would steer clear of that if it was me. Doesn't appear to be very high quality. I've never played one though so what do i know....

3. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    It depends on the price. That's a few years before the BB series, so it has a "funky" vibe. If the neck's OK it could be something different. Judging from the rig and broken string it's probably a "sitting under the bed" special and hasn't been played in 30 years.
    After reading the ad:
    It needs a replacement nut (the ivory) and a new set of strings but not a bad deal for $150 CDN.

4. lowendrv

lowendrv

Dec 12, 2007
    SoCal
    I think it was called the firewood model.

5. Alright thanks guys, I guess I wont run out and grab this one, but I do like really tacky designs like this.

6. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I would jump all over that. Yea, it's a little funky looking, especially in those photos but these basses actually look a lot better in person.

7. guitarist09

guitarist09

Jul 23, 2012
    it's my first time to see that Yamaha. It is beautiful for sure :D