Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can I Mix

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Dad Bass, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Dad Bass

Dad Bass

Jun 22, 2005
    New Jersey, USA
    My almost new, two months old Chrissy came with Diminant strings. The winging on the E string has frayed at the top, above the nut. I can't tune it to pitch.

The bass came with the manfacturers "Chrome Steel String" (brand unknown).

Can I install the chrome steel E string and what would that do to the sound mix. I play mostly piz. Should I just put on the whole chrome Steel set? Should I buy a replacement E Dom?

Thanks in advance

Dad Bass

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    A simple answer: why not?
    You are the best judge!

There's something I don't understand though.
    You said it came with Dominants, and then that it came with some chromesteel strings.

I suggest you try the steel E and listen to the result.
    That's what counts!

3. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have been using Dominants with a steel E (Spiro Mittel) for some time now. It seems to work very well.

I would have liked to try the Dominant E, but it broke during installation - the string length on my bass is a little on the short side and as the part of the string that transitions from the silk to the steel windings began to crawl up over the tuning peg it snapped. I was careful and lubed the nut and bridge during installation of all the strings and other than the E I've had great results from the Dominants.