1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can I Record on the Computer Using...?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by CauliColin, Jan 8, 2012.

1. My friend got a 6.3mm to USB cable with his loop pedal, I was wondering if I could use that, plug it into my computer, and register it as a microphone somehow?:bassist:

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    No.

3. What if I were to plug in the amp from the headphone jack into the microphone jack and record through audacity?

4. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    You could record a sound. But not one you'd put on a record.

5. Cool, thanks! I'm wanting ways to record for a YouTube cover, that's all!

6. JakeAndAirwaves

JakeAndAirwaves

Jun 3, 2011
    TX
    Do you have an iPhone or iPod touch or iPad?

7. Yes, iPod touch, but I do not want to go to the trouble of iRig.

8. JakeAndAirwaves

JakeAndAirwaves

Jun 3, 2011
    TX
    Okay. I have one, and I experience no latency at all. I'm still playing with the settings to get minimal tone coloring, though.

You need a recording interface and an upgraded sound card in your computer.

9. Thanks! Although, I'm working with practically no budget. Am I safe to use my current method?

10. You don't need an updated soundcard. I use a USB audio interface (Lexicon Alpha) which acts as an external soundcard, providing input and output, like most USB interfaces do. I wouldn't even need a soundcard in my computer to use it.

Liam

11. JakeAndAirwaves

JakeAndAirwaves

Jun 3, 2011
    TX
    Oh yeah, you would only need a sound card if you were going no interface. I think Behringher (sp?) and Line 6 make a couple cheap interfaces. I have no idea on the quality of these but as long as you're not going to put these on a record, they should be okay for basic YouTube covers.

12. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    You can use the micophone jack and audacity, just don't expect to hear any bass. Guitar and vocals may be ok.

But try it, it won't break anything.