1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

can i run 2 heads into the same cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MarkMyWordsXx, Oct 25, 2006.

1. MarkMyWordsXx

MarkMyWordsXx

May 17, 2006
    i was thinking if i had 2 of the same heads, and i ab'd them to make 2 channals, but then i thought...what would happen if i ran them both into my head at the same time?

im not gunna try it cuz im scared itl blow up! has anyone tried this? fyi the heads are 350w at 4 ohms, 4 ohm avatar b410 neo

2. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Brisbane, Australia
    No!!!!

3. Bass Below

Bass Below

Oct 24, 2006
    New York
    If you're a/b'ing them, they wont be running through the cab at the same time, so it should be fine. Just make sure it's a simple a/b switch, and not one that can combine both signals.

4. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    radial engineering makes a product called the headbone which is designed to do exactly what you are talking about - two heads into one cab. they make one for tube heads, one for ss, and one that does one of each.

however, they are made for guitar amps so they only handle around 100 watts - however, i think they also offer the option of a higher powered one which is what you will need. they are high quality, but not cheap so you could probably buy another avatar for the same price.

JR

5. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Two heads into one cab? The short answer is NO.

The long answer is also NO, amazingly enough...:)

6. MarkMyWordsXx

MarkMyWordsXx

May 17, 2006

thank you for providing me with the only helpfull answer yet.

if you said no, why not?

7. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Assuming your head has two parallel inputs, and you're running power into both of them, it would be like plugging the speaker out jack on one amp into the speaker out on the other amp and turning it on. If you don't die of shock, the amps will.

8. Look at the description of the Headbone again. Unless I need glasses worse than I thought, it's NOT made to let you run two heads into one cab at the same time, it's designed to let you switch between two heads into one cab. Either/or, not both. It won't do what the OP wanted.

To the OP: the reason you don't do this is that it will harm your amps. And BTW, someone telling you "no" IS being helpful. Don't complain when someone gives you advice that will keep from you from destroying your gear. If that's not helpful, I dunno what is.

There is one way you can piut two amps simultaneously into one cab, and that's if you have a true stereo cab. Then, you can run one amp into one half of the cab, and the other amp into the other half. Only thing is, that's like having two cabs, each half the size of the original one. If that's OK, then you're OK.

9. Well.... if I guess correctly: your cab has 4 X 4 Ohm speakers? If that´s the case (but ONLY if that´s the case) you can rewire the cab. Connect 2 speakers in series (makes 8 ohms) and connect them to 1 input. And connect the other 2 speakers in series and connect them to another input. Connect each head to 1 input. You´ll have both 4 Ohm heads driving 8 Ohms, so you will loose some volume, but the do work with 1 cab, no risks!

10. excane

excane Inactive

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Mesa Boogie used to make a hi-gain amp switcher that could switch up to 4 amps into the same cab. It was a rack mounted piece and several guitar players I knew used them.

Not sure, but I believe it has been discontinued. A search on ebay can probably find one.

11. As the above posters say -
    You can do it but.............only with special equipment (and be careful!). :scowl:

If you connect both amps to one speaker cab you can blow up either, or both, of the amps. Don't do it unless you know what to expect, or if you use some kind of switcher to choose between the two amps. Several are listed in the postings.
    A couple TB'ers have asked about doing the same with two preamps into one poweramp for different tones (similar to what you're trying to do).
    Good luck :D

12. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF

There was one on the 'Bay last week. Around $300. Seller looked a bit shady, but goes to show they're out there.

If you called Mesa they prolly have some in the warehouse somewhere...

Now if they'd only make a damn BASS preamp, one channel being the M-Pulse circuitry and the other the BB750/V12 one, I'd just about wet myself DAILY! :D

13. excane

excane Inactive

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    +1000000

That would be a rack-mounted orgasm.

14. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    With the overhead I know those guys work with, there's no reason they couldn't develop something like that... It'd sell, like, a damn lot of units. :)

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 19, 2021