1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can I..

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by gottliver, Aug 22, 2012.

1. gottliver

gottliver

Dec 20, 2004
    ...use the following successfully?

I have a David Gage spec Strunal 50/4 with spiros and an adjustable bridge.

I'd like to start gigging soon, of course I need a band first!!! But I'll be playing a few tunes with the band at my wedding 9/9/12.

I'm thinking that I would buy the following, K&K Bassmax, Baggs Para DI or Fishman Pro Eq Platinum B, and an Fdeck HPF.

For the wedding I'll prob be going direct, but in the future I'd like to plug the HPF and Pre strainght into one of the nem GK powered speakers, prob the MBP 12. Is this do-able?

What do y'all think?

Thx
    Mark

2. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    It's certainly doable but is there some reason you wouldn't go for a nice head with good tone-shaping? That way, you could lose the additional pre-amp and just go with the Fdeck and an unpowered cab. Also, IMO, while the BassMax is certainly convenient, it is a rather unrefined pickup.

3. gottliver

gottliver

Dec 20, 2004
    i like the simplicity and low cost of the setup.

another option i was thinking was a GK MB200 head and a Crazy88 or simply a GK MP112II both with the hpf pre 3.

What pickup would you suggest?

4. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    The MB200 is one of the lightest heads on the market, I like it's EQ section, for Double Bass, and it is very reasonably priced. I used a Walter Woods MI-100-8 for a long time, to successfully drive several different cabinets. It was rated at 100 watts into a 8 ohm load.
    The advantage of the new GK MB Series II amps is that they offer powered cabinets that will work with the combos, giving you the option of adding an additional speaker and increasing the power. I'd certainly consider that system, once you can demo it in stores.
    If you decide to go with a Crazy 88, you might really benefit from moving up to a MB 500, that way you'll have additional headroom, I like the EQ section on that amp as well.
    You'll want to P.M. Mike Arnopol an discuss it with him.

Ric

5. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    If you want to stick with a bridge-wing pickup, then the Rev Solo without a doubt. It's a fine choice even if you don't limit yourself to bridge-wing pups. Perennial favorites around here are the Full-Circle and Realist. I'm evaluating the Ehrlund on my bass now. IMO, any of the above are head and shoulders above the BassMax.

6. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Since you spent a good deal of money on a nice bass and setup. I think you would be wise to do the same with the pickup and amplification.

I don't recommend just arbitrarily picking a set of components and slapping them together in a signal chain
    with the expectation that they will be a good match for each other. Personally, I'd recommend either a Realist, Full Circle, or Upton Revolution Solo II rather than a Bass Max

Well, first you have to know if the new MB Series II Powered Cabinets will accept a line level input from either the Baggs or Fishman Pre Amps. I think it would be much easier just to get a decent pickup and amplifier first, rather than try to custom built a modular rig like you are considering. With a decent pickup and amp, you may not need all those bells and whistles at first. More often than not, simpler is truly better. As an example of this, if you decided to get the Fishman Pro Platinum, the HPF/Buffer Preamp would be redundant as they do many of the same things. Better to start slow.

Ric

7. gottliver

gottliver

Dec 20, 2004
    gentlemen, thank you.
    the rev solo or realist are now on top of the list.
    not sure about amplification...i also play BG so a good amp would be a good investment.
    thx again..

8. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    Ric and I certainly seem to be on the same wavelength. :)

9. gottliver

gottliver

Dec 20, 2004
    A concern I had about the Realist was the installation, wasn't sure how difficult as a DIY or how long to have the good folks at David Gage install for me. That was solved by speaking with Ben at DG, he told me "bring it in, we can install it in 10 mins". Plus, as a recent bass buyer, they are giving me a discount! Great service after great service!
    So the Realist it is. Amp decision to follow after installation.