1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can practicing 2 instruments at once hurt?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by baddarryl, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Plectrum72

Plectrum72 Supporting Member

It might hurt if you try to play them both at the same time, but if you alternate between the two, you should be fine. :laugh:

John j, SteveCS, SactoBass and 2 others like this.
  2. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    I don't think it will hurt.....more or less = upgrade.

3. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    DANGER!!!

it can lead to things like this... :)

SactoBass likes this.
  4. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it Supporting Member

Playing guitar won't hurt your bass playing, however it's physically impossible for it to help your bass playing. I mean, do pitchers practice being a quarterback?

5. I can hurt a little
    Hurts.jpg

MYLOWFREQ, SactoBass and mikewalker like this.
  6. No. Never. It can only help you become a better musician. Learn as many instruments as you can. It's all about making music, not about showing of your mad skillz.

SteveCS, IamGroot and SactoBass like this.
  7. two people practicing one instrument at once can hurt worse
    Hurts.jpg

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  8. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    It would hurt if you try to play them both at once. It would probably ding them all up too

SactoBass likes this.
  9. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    SactoBass likes this.
  10. Keger Jupit

Keger Jupit Banned SUSPENDED

May 10, 2018
    The Great PNW!!
    Not in my opinion. I find it's a symbiotic relationship...do it!

SactoBass likes this.
  11. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    IMG_0621.JPG

SactoBass likes this.
  12. If you believe that learning two instruments at once can’t work, then you’re right. If you believe it can, then you’re right. Any impediments due to trying play two or more instruments are impediments in your thinking, not in the differences between the instruments.

Nearly everyone who plays well on one instrument is at least functional on another. I’m of the school that believes that each instrument you study teaches you something useful when learning and playing other instruments. At a minimum it enhances your ability to communicate with other musicians.

Malcolm35, juancaminos and SactoBass like this.
  13. Flooflox

Flooflox

Aug 25, 2014
    AndyPanda and SactoBass like this.
  14. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    USA, Phoenix, AZ
    No! I am not a virtuoso, not a natural, not a prodigy, etc. It's hard work for me just to be good enough to get on a stage. I practice bass, guitar (acoustic and electric), Banjo and most recently Mandolin. On top of that I practice vocals to each of these instruments. As I've stated sooo many times before, I am a stage guy. Not a play in the bedroom guy. So this all comes very hard for me, it's more work than pleasure. Two out of ten times I come out of the music room with a smile. I did try keys and drums but gave up on that. Being proficient enough to hop up on stage is the reason for all of it. I do believe that all of this makes a better bass player and stage performer. How can I follow a guitar player if I have no idea what he is doing?

15. Anthony Lap

Anthony Lap

Jul 1, 2019
    After losing band partners after moving away from home, I started to learn guitar for a good year, not really touching the bass at all. Guitar was easier to learn with all the bass knowledge but it did improve my bass playing dramatically, mostly with chords, solos and melodies. Now I get calls for gigs for both bass and guitar. More money more candy!

16. Mvilmany

Mvilmany

Mar 13, 2013
    Upstate NY
    Practice both.

17. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New York
    You can't play guitar and bass at the same time in a traditional way :)

Kidding aside, I think the answer is yes and no IMO.

Yes: because music is music and if you know how to play an instrument, it'd help you learn another easier. (If you can drive a car, I'd be easier to drive a bus)

No: because the more new information gets into your brain, the less you're focused.

I don't know if what I just said is true or not, I'm thinking out loud.

18. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Surgical instruments? Yep.

Musical instruments. Nope.

19. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri

Why stop at two?

20. honeyiscool

honeyiscool

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Any loss of repetition you have by splitting time between instruments, you gain back by getting a more holistic education to music and understanding how the instruments fit together musically. The only downside to learning multiple instruments at once? Honestly, it’s the gear. I’m mostly set now since I have enough gear, really I do, but I play piano and guitar semi-professionally, gig on bass regularly, and play a decent amount of drums. The amount of studio space and money needed to get my musical life to a satisfactory point is pretty scary haha.

IamGroot, higain617 and JayLaughlin like this.