1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can someone explain EQ to a Bass newbie?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by DioMANOWARDio, Dec 25, 2011.

1. DioMANOWARDio

DioMANOWARDio

Dec 4, 2011
    Hello, I have seen the term EQ alot since i started playing bass not so long ago and i can't seem to understand how i achieve it if it is something i can achieve or even what it is.

I apologise for my ignorance.

2. MRDOOM

MRDOOM

Jul 16, 2009
    Utah
    EQ or Equalization is simply a term used to describe how one uses the frequency controls on an amplifier or bass. It's not something that is really achieved so much as something set to your particular preference. For instance, if one wanted to EQ in some more mids to their tone, they would increase the controls that control the middle frequencies on their amp until they arrived at a tone that they liked.

3. Hactar

Hactar

Sep 25, 2011
    Boulder, CO
    Well, here's some links.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equalization_(audio)
    The Art of Equalization

These should help you understand the concept of equalization. Note that we are discussing general audio signal equalization, not bass-specific equalization.

Basically, an equalizer (commonly abbrev. EQ) is a circuit (piece of equipment) that adjusts the level of specific frequencies.
    For instance, your amp might have a three band EQ. The low band controls the low fundamentals of your sound, the middle band controls higher notes and harmonics and the high band controls sounds like string noise and "brightness".

Really, the best way to learn an EQ is play with it. Max the knobs out, see what happens. :bassist:

Hope that helps...