1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can you check in a bass on a regular hard case?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rudkeja, Oct 13, 2013.

1. rudkeja

rudkeja

Oct 13, 2013
    Well it's my first post here so I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I'm planning to travel from the US to Asia on Eva airlines and I'm bringing my bass with me. The airline says that the dimensions of the checked in baggage should not exceed 62 inches but most bass hard cases have about 64 at the least. So i'm just asking if they're gonna let me check in my bass with a hard case or not. Any experiences? Thanks everyone!

2. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef “the brian” Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    I Don't know what kind of bass you have, but the "normal" bass case is only about 49" long (that's what the average Fender hard case measures). I would suggest getting a fitted, locking case like an SKB w/ the TSA latches.

3. Ronbassman

Ronbassman

Jun 1, 2011
    I got away with it last week, but it almost went into the underbelly of the plane. I'd recommend getting a gig bag. You won't have any problems with one.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Don't count on that, bro. It's about 50-50.

5. rudkeja

rudkeja

Oct 13, 2013
    Oh sorry, it's supposed to be 62 inches throughout so it's L+W+H so it's usually 49+13+4 or something like that which is pretty much over.

6. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    I travel often. Hardcase is a must! the domestic US carriers will mostly treat it as "special" and check it in for under the plane. They usually place it on last and after so many horror stories, youtube videos and even one song, the US carriers seem to treat my axe's pretty well. From VA to germany, lufthanza placed my hardcase in the cabin no extra charge by the stewardess's area. From germany to Japan via aeroflot (dont fly these guys) they threw it under the plane as standard cargo. Nothing was damaged, but I did get a scratch on the case. Then again that is what cases are there to do! Jetstar charged me extra for checking it, no damage. China southern let me keep it in the cabin no extra charge like lufthanza.

The Army and Air Force were the best when it came to traveling within Iraq. I am biased, and I am my own roadie, so I checked them in and tied them down!

7. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    I just flew on EVA from San Francisco to Bangkok in July with a MONO M80 gig bag and I was allowed to carry it on. They let me store it in a wardrobe closet used for the flight crew's stuff. And that was on two separate flights, San Francisco-Taipei and Taipei-Bangkok.

I talked to the check-in counter and very politely asked if I could carry on my bass case. At first they said "No", but I (falsely) explained that it was a gift from my grandfather (I bought it on eBay) and that I was afraid that it would be damaged if I checked it in (this was true). Then they told me to ask the flight crew when it was time to board since they have the final say. I gave my sob story to them and they said "Yes". They even let me board with 1st class so I wouldn't be in other passengers way while I stowed the bass. There was another guy with an acoustic guitar in a gig bag and we both put our guitars in the same closet.

Bottom line: be polite, smile, and mention grandparents. I found the EVA staff to be very accommodating. Like someone else said, you'll probably have better luck with a gig bag vs. hard case.