1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can you ID these strings off a new Ibanez?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassporter, Feb 27, 2016.

Tags:
  1. bassporter

bassporter

Apr 14, 2015
    I really like the strings that came on my new Ibanez TMB300, but I'd prefer a little heavier gauge. Can anyone tell what make these are? Roundwound, don't think they're coated, black silk at both ends and brass ball ends.

KIMG0170. KIMG0167.

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I'd guess they're cheap generics manufactured somewhere in Asia. That's a Talman right? Like the SBMM SUB, maybe they use cheap strings to help keep costs down. I could be wrong.

3. bassporter

bassporter

Apr 14, 2015
    Yeah, it's a talman. Hopefully they're not a unidentifiable generic string. I really do like these better than any other roundwound I've tried. They feel very smooth and have an even tone.

4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    It's probably what they are. But I doubt they're tone is unique and unattainable. Any decent nickel round would likely be just as good. Your enjoyment of the bass is probably swaying your opinion of the strings.

5. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    They really look like GHS Pressure Wounds, but I don't see those as stock strings on a new bass.

One Way likes this.
  6. bassporter

bassporter

Apr 14, 2015
    Funny, pressure wounds have been on my short list of strings to try for a while. I don't think that's what these are, but it's probably what I'll end up putting on if I can't ID these.

7. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    You won't find pressurewounds on a new bass.

There are generic strings made in Asia that are used on less expensive basses. A few years ago they all seemed to show up with red silk at each end but the wrapping length and winding pattern underneath looked almost exactly like those pictured above.

8. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Have you gone to the Ibanez website and checked?

9. bassporter

bassporter

Apr 14, 2015
    I did look on the Ibanez website. Didn't see anything. Suppose I can contact them, but it's probably a fool's errand.

10. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I'm almost sure they're generics. The ball ends are more silver colored than brass colored right? All the cheap generics I've seen have been that color.

11. I like the ones on my GSR105EXMOL as well, maybe they're stainless.