1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can you identify this bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rufio90210, May 3, 2015.

1. Rufio90210

Rufio90210

May 3, 2015
    Hi,

Im a guitarist about to start recording and need something cheap with good recording tone qualities in terms of bass. I won't be playing live with it or taking it anywhere so durability and such is not necessary just a good recording tone. My style is kind of Elliott Smith meets Pixies so kinda folk /grunge.

Can anyone identify this bass as I am eyeing it up for bidding? ELECTRIC BASS GUITAR JAZZ STYLE SUNBURST VINTAGE USED BRISTOL | eBay

Recommendations also welcome, I'd want to spend under 100 on a second hand one.

Many thanks

2. Rufio90210

Rufio90210

May 3, 2015
    bump

3. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    It's just a typical mid-sixties Japanese badged bass . . . one of many variations on a theme. There is virtually no connection between whatever the badge would have been and the factory of origin.

4. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
  5. Boom762

Boom762 I AM the one who Booms! Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Lubbock, TX
    It may be a Franken-Bass.

6. It's a late 1960's Japanese Jazzzz bass copy, probably made in the Matsumoku factory... the quality of these is inconsistent, but if you can get it for under $100 it is generally a good deal. Personally, I owned one of these and I do not think the tone is good for recording, so if I were in your position I would look for something else.