Can you identify this string?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Robert, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Robert

Nov 14, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    My G-string broke last night (no funny comments here :)). I am in a bit of a rush to get a new one, and I really liked how this one played. However I have no idea what type of string I have been using.

Can anyone identify this string from the color on the end-windings or something? The nut-side winding is brown and the tailpiece-side is turquoise (or cyan or something).

A larger version of the image is available at

Attached Files:

2. Ooo, I get to answer before François chimes in! :hyper:

My guess is that it's a Chromcor from Pirastro.
  3. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Was it a red one? Those are my favorites.

Gee, I would've thought it would be the other way around. :D
  4. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Well possible!
    The Chromcor is green though.
    I don't clearly see the color on the pics.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Looks like one of the chinese strings they put on Christopher/similar basses. Obligatos are similar in tone(but fuller sounding) and much higher quality.
  6. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    It's not a great picture, but is it a Thomastik Superflexible? I don't have one sitting around to check the pegend color, but the ballend color looks right or close. The little felt washer, however, suggests Pirastro.

Man, it must be nice to like your g-string that much. No temptation to try something different. I envy you.

7. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    The Superflexibles are light blue, and also at the peg-end, in orchestra tuning. (all yellow in solo-tuning I think)
    True, and also the brown silk at the peg-end, which means G in Pirastro color-coding.
  8. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
  9. Robert, can we have a better picture of the ball end of your string? Yesterday I thought it was green (hence my Chromcor guess) but I'm having second thoughts now.

And what color are the silks at the peg ends of the other strings? If the D is red, the A black, and the E green, that would definitely mean Pirastro.
  10. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Wow, I'm way out of my league in the string ID game.

11. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    Not to mention the ball it self is not a TI ball.
  12. Wow, that's a really GREAT string I.D. site!

Thanks for the info.

And yes, it appears to be a Pirastro Chromcor....

I'm partial to the Pirastro Obligato set - that's right, the whole set! Beautifull gutty sound, lotsa highs and lows. After I installed the full set, a cellist at my job thought I'd bought an Old Italian instrument because of the rich, suave sound!

Excellent response on G, D, A; pretty good on E (better response than "original Flex." E, that's for sure).
  13. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    That's just terrible...
  14. Robert

Nov 14, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I totally forgot about this thread.. Yes, it seems from the string ID page that my broken G-string indeed was a Chromcor. And yes, I was very happy with it. Since I was in a hurry, I had to buy a Thomastik Spirocore to replace it - the new string was much weaker in its sound (less volume, less fundamental) and slighly higher in tension.

Then my D broke aswell. Since I did not want that crappy experience with another Spirocore, I bought a full set of Garbos. I just put them on the bass, and to be honest, I still miss that Chromcor G-string. I'll give the Garbos a couple of weeks, but if the sound is not what I'm looking for, then perhaps I'll try a set of Chromcores?