Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can't decide which book, any suggestions?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Lewk, Dec 26, 2003.

1. Lewk

Lewk

Oct 19, 2003
    I've search the threads but didnt come up with anything.

With some of my christmas money on some bass books. I have bene reccomended "standing in teh shadows of motown" soi will definitly be getting that, but i'm thinking of getting another one too. I can't decide between "101 Bass tips by gary willis" and "the working bassists tool kit" by ed friedland. Both these books seem to be complimentary to studay, rather than direct study books, and this is what i'm lookign for.

Do any of you have experience with these two books and could point me in the right direction?

p.s. I'm also tempted to buy both!

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I dig Ed's books. I'm currently waiting on "The Evolving Bassist" by Rufus Reid (it didn't make it by XMas).

I'm looking tocheck out Ed's Slap DVD soon too.

3. Lewk

Lewk

Oct 19, 2003
    nope, like i said, i did a proper search. i'm looking for specific information on both these books and the best of the two.

I think i shall go for the friedland, because everyone seems to like him.

4. Boltboy

Boltboy

Dec 6, 2003
    I havnt looked it over yet but Bass Guitar for dummies lookes to be about as large as the Bible. heh.

5. H2ODog

H2ODog

Sep 30, 2003
    Roseville, CA
    I have been playing bass foe six weeks and I have looked at a lot of books. Most are too advanced for the complete beginner and a lot of basic books don't explain enough to give you a good understanding of the material. I went to a bookstore and found Bass for Dummies and I found it to be very useful. I bought it and got a lot of useful information out of it. It was in my opinion one of the best beginner boos I looked at. Of course I am a complete beginner so if you have knowledge of music or have played before it might not be your best bet but if you are a complete beginner like me I think it will definitely help you get started.

6. Lewk

Lewk

Oct 19, 2003
    Sorry H20, i'm an intermediate player :) but cheers for the suggestion anyway! glad you found that book useful.

7. I have been gasing for "the Bass Bible" for a while and now this christmas i got it! :) I have just started it and it is really full of things. From everywhere in the world, all styles and types. 2 cd's, the examples i have found are not as long as i would have liked and I personally think that there should be NO tab in it. So i have started to cover the tab up with tape and paper. Or any book by Berklee Press. I have a few other books on blues, jazz, and 2 on slap. I loved "Teach your self slap bass in 10 esay lessons" and they are right!! wow!!! Also MelBay books are really good too.

good luck. Where are you located? Cause i know an amazing music book store in Toronto Canada.

-A.