Can't Make Up My Mind

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by countrybass5, Jul 31, 2018.

1. XB75

2. PB75

3. Icon5

4. PB5

5. LB75

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. In October I will have 2500 dollars to spend on a bass. I have decided to order a Kiesel but I am having trouble deciding which one. I like the LB75,the PB5, and the Icon 5. I'm wondering which one is is more desirable to tbers.

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    What kinds of music do you mainly play?

If your username is any indication I would go with the PB5 just for its traditional looks. But I used to own an LB and have played several Icons. You really can't go wrong.

3. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Bring Back Edit/Delete Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    Seems like you're giving us a research project...

el_Bajo_Verde likes this.
  4. I play mostly old
    Country and Country Rock...nothing fancy.

5. Sorry...I'm just an indecisive person. I have a hard time making up my mind.

6. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    Icon 5 Woooo Hoooo

7. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
  8. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Bring Back Edit/Delete Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    My point is I don’t think many people here know anything about any of those basses. Pics or other information might help rather than expecting people to Google it.

9. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    though Carvin/Kiesel quality is great...resale sucks...and personally I have never like a single body shape the they have ever produced...so to answer your question honestly I would not buy any of them...i would sink that money into a good used lakland...

sorry I Know that was of no help what so ever...

Now if somebody were going to give me one it would have to be the Icon

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  10. MordBass

MordBass

Nov 1, 2017
    Midwest
    Like the previous..... I apologize for not helping with your actual question but honestly... the resale is super bad on those and $2500 is more than enough to hit the used market and be able to buy a Zon, Roscoe, Lull, Spector, or any number of very high end instruments...at darn near the bottom of their resale value. I grabbed a Zon Sonus 6 with claro walnut top and barts for $1850 shipped on the used market by being patient and combing the ads for a few weeks.
    If you spend $2500 on a Kiesel...you basically just paid $1500 to pick your color and options because its worth about a grand the moment you take delivery. Keep in mind that there is a Kiesel fad going on right now so the current resale value is NOT indicative of what you'd be able to recoup a year or so from now. If you dont believe me, go look at all the used carvins on reverb and at GC that nobody wants... and at a fraction of their original cost.

mesaplayer83, scuzzy and Strung_Low like this.
  11. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I obviously don’t know what will be in the TB Classifieds in October, but with that kind of budget, there are at least 10 basses there right now that I would choose over a new Kiesel. But, that’s me. It’s your money, do whatever makes you happy.

TN WOODMAN and MordBass like this.
  12. Wow...not much love for Carvin/Kiesel...maybe I need to do more research.

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  13. bwoodman

bwoodman Supporting Member

I have tried to like several different Carvin / Keisel basses - in my case, Carvin - bought and sold a ICON 5, Bunny Brunel 5 and I think they called it a B5 - didn't like any of them. I go on their website occasionally to see what's going on - nice options for fancy tops and nice paint work, but I just don't dig ANY of the body shapes as stated already. Their take on a P Bass was especially wonky. IMO of course. I'm looking at the site now - the headless stuff is interesting, the JB is not bad, Vanquish - can't stand that one, LB series - the horns just look too big, the Bromberg - interesting. If I were to get one, it would be between the JB and the Bromberg. For that $2500 you could even get a Sadowsky Metro Express, but there are so many other options out there as already mentioned. I got a used Roscoe in new condition right here for $2000.

14. mmon77

mmon77 Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Southern MN
    Are you planing on this being your "forever bass"? Or, have you played one before so that you can be sure that you'll like it if you buy one?

The main complaint about them is their resale value is bad. If you're not going to resell it, that doesn't matter at all.

IMHO, they make very nice instruments. I've had 2 of their guitars, still have one. If you end up not liking it for some reason though, you'll get killed on the resale value, unless you just return it right away during the 10 day trial. Some options cause the instrument to be non-returnable if I remember correctly though.

pcake likes this.
  15. Carvin/Kiesel makes great basses. Talkbass is only obsessed with resale value, though. Basses are not financial investments!

I am saving up for one, a 6-string Zeus.
    zb6-cs-rnc-dpw-ash-mt-ref-nin-sl-bl-139868_gallery.jpg

I have been extremely impressed with every Carvin/Kiesel I've ever gotten my hands on!

Remember that you are buying the bass for yourself. You should buy the bass that you like the most.

You won't be able to get an Xcelerator because they were discontinued! That narrows it down to the Icon or the PB5. One's a modern 24-fret neck through and the other is an old-school P! Obviously the Icon costs quite a bit more while the P is the lowest-priced bass they've got. You could check out the Kiesel forums for more info on your choices

16. I’ve always thought carvins were cool and the ability to customize is awesome. If you are up between a couple of models maybe there are some owners on here that can share some insight. And won’t they ship a bass to you to try before you buy? As long as you don’t pick certain custom options.
    As far a the resale thing goes I never really worry about that.

17. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

in that case: get the icon. :D
    forget the naysaying based on the "resale" argument: i get the impression you actually want to play the damn thing!

while i don't know anything/much about the brand, if you like them (you must have reasons!) = that's all that counts! the resale argument is a non-starter if you actually want to own it/play it.

good luck with your ambivalence: they're all good looking instruments per the website! :thumbsup:

Mechanical likes this.
  18. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    If I had 2.5K to drop on a bass, the Kiesel / Carvin would be my last choice...and this comes from a Carvin owner (Bunny 5).

Riis

Maynjo and johnson79 like this.
  19. mmon77

mmon77 Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Southern MN
    Out of curiosity, why is that? An explanation may help the OP in their decision.

20. Hounddog409

Hounddog409

Oct 27, 2015
    ohio
    first of all, resale value ? really?

Second - to actually answer The OP's question, or provide some help....

Do you want a neck through or bolt on neck? I prefer neck through in every case. It has been my experience that the neck through design results in a much more stable neck when compared to bolt on.

I have an LB and its a fantastic bass, though its an early 90's LB70. I cannot remember the last time I had to adjust the neck.

Once you decide on that, it at least narrows your decision down. The LB is more of a P-Bass shape. The ICON is more Jazz looking off set body. Which do you prefer? Since you stated PB instead of JB, I would presume you prefer the PBass style. That means you can eliminate the Icon. So - bolt on or neck through? once you decide that you have your answer.

I would go LB70...or 5're in your case. I built a 4. Thats new Fender price...take the Keisel every day of the week.

upload_2018-8-1_8-19-12.png

el_Bajo_Verde and Mechanical like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021