Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cant move saddle back far enough

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by theshadow2001, Jan 8, 2006.

1. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    On the E string of my crappy jazz the saddle can't move back far enough to intonate the thing properly. The sadle is literally back at the lip of the bridge. I've removed the spring and added spacers to the screw that adjusts it position in order to move it back as far as I can but it's still out.

Any suggestions?

2. Ned Starks Head

Ned Starks Head Yis, actually.

Sep 25, 2004
    Charlotte NC
    Bad string? I've never had one bad out of the package, but I'v seen here that others have. If you have another E around, try putting it on and see what happens.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Whats your action like. Is it abnormally high?

4. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    I wouldnt say tha the action is abnormally high. It might be just about on the high side. Its definitely not overly high though. Could this be a neck problem?

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Whats your relief like? Push down the string at the first and last fret, and let us know how much space is inbetween the string and the top of the 5th fret.

6. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    I really don't know its hard to measure I'd say theres +/- 1/16" between the bottom of the string and the top of the fret