1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cant seem to be able to record..

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Demon, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Im using audacity, and ive tried with the windows recorded too. When i record, play something, and press play theres nothing. Ive tried both bass>amplifier>line out from amplifier to computers line in, and bass directly to computers line in. Anyone know why it doesnt work? All that happens is that i hear the bass through the computer speakers.

2. jsbass

jsbass

Sep 3, 2006
    WI
    Plug into the microphone jack, not line in.

3. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Thanks. Would Bass>amp>computer be best, or Bass>computer?

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Bass-amp-computer, because that brings your signal up to line level; if you go just bass-computer, the level you will be getting into the computer may not be loud enough.

5. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Mic doesnt work either. Tried both with amp and without:(
    Any suggestions?

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Here's a quick screen cap. Make sure that the settings are correct both in Windows Volume Control and in Audacity. You have to select microphone or line in for Audacity to know where the audio is coming from. Also, make sure that you go to Project - New Audio Track so that there is a track to record on.
    screencap.

7. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Dont know how you got that big screen up, but it does say microphone. I also tried changing Recording and playback unit at preferences to the name of my soundcard, but nothing, nada. And yes, i msure iwas actually recording, cos there was a frequency bar thing and a line moving through,but it was flat.

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    That's just the Windows volume control. In the system tray on the bottom right hand of your screen, double click on the little speaker icon.

9. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Oh, yeah, everythings good there. But isnt that for playing only? The recording thing has only 3, Line-in, Microphone and some other, and Microfone is selected there too, so i dont know what the problem is. One update: When iwas wriggling on the contact while recording (the computer side), there was alot of cracklign,and that crackling appeared on the recording, but no bass. and i tried with both my contacts, one new, and one older, and same thing with both. Is the converter maybe bad ( to make the contact fit into the computer )? Man, kinda sucks. I once remembering succeding to record a while back on some other free program, but dont remember how, and the quality sucked. It was right through my squier.

10. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I'm going to go ahead and say that your computer is haunted. What you need now is an exorcist.

11. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Just guess ill have to wait till some expert comes around:/

12. crice31721

crice31721

Oct 23, 2006
    Folsom, CA
    I was having the same problems, but with Kristal. It seems that Kristal would only record from the line in, and not the mic line. My computer WAS set up for 2 sets of speakers, with one set using the line in line. I finally got it reconfigured by going to my control panel, and running through the CMI Audio Config. (I think that may be something particular to my motherboard, but hopefully yours has the same) Worked for me, hope it works for you

13. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Sry, i did not fully understand that. Might be cos for me everything is in Swedish, but what is CMI? Ididnt find anything named CMI Audio Config.

14. There are 2 displays in the MS Windows volume screen...so when you open it, select File --> Options and check the RECORDING button. That will display the volume settings for RECORDING, not playback.

When I have trouble recording to PC via mike, I find that often my mike has been muted by some rogue software or unwanted system change...unchecking the MUTE option tends to sort it out alright for me, except then the mike is on all the time, but thats another problem for me to solve.

I find clicking Start Menu --> Help and Support is an excellent starting place to solving my Windows based problems...most can be sovled with a few descriptive words and some patience to sort through all the right answers getting to the one I need.