1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Capasitor markings help

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MPU, May 25, 2011.

1. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    I'm in desperate need of help from you electronic gurus. I'm making an SVF-based preamp from musikding forum. It has 10n and 100n capasitors. I have polyester caps that have 0u1M and u1K marked on them. Which one is which? Why can't all caps have clear markings? I don't even try to find out ceramic cap markings. They are way out of my understanding.
    Thanks,
    Marko

2. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    It is what it is...

What did your Google search show you?

3. 10n and 100n capacitors should have just that written on them, along with the voltage.

Can´t a multimeter measure capacitance?
    Edit: No, it can´t.

4. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Not all have specifics. Depends on the brand and type.

5. Deepak

Deepak

Mar 8, 2008
    MA
    You'd need an LCR meter to measure capacitance.

Can you post a pic of the caps? I'd expect two or three digits followed by a letter, and u1k doesn't sound right at all.

6. dbhokie

dbhokie

Nov 1, 2010
    I mean maybe .1M for microfarad?

1k could be referring to voltage, or tolerance..but yeah those aren't common identifiers that I am aware of.

You can use a multimeter to tell if a capacitor is bad by shorting out the leads and discharging the capacitor (as long as it is big enough), switch to ohms and connect the leads of the capacitor to your meter. As soon as you touch the meter should swing to near 0, then slowly move up to infinity, because the capacitor is being charged by the battery. If it is shortened it will go to 0 and stay there.

That will only tell you if it is good. I measure such circuits with an ESR, I am not aware of a way to do it with a multimeter short of putting it in an AC circuit and checking variance from calculated voltage drop.

EDIT: Good quality pictures is your best bet for identifying as said above, post.