Car sub speaker switch-a-roo...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brutalmetalguy, Dec 15, 2003.

1. I am simply curious as to whether or not switching out my stock Ampeg PR-410HLF's speakers with car stereo speakers such as Infinity Kappa Perfect 10's would:

1.) Work?
    2.) Sound better or worse?
    3.) Be a completely stupid idea?

This is just a thought, so please, no harsh words... :D
  2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Silly Bruce...

1. Sure it would work...if the Ampeg's drivers are 16 ohms each and you didn't rewire the cabinet, you might blow your amp if the Subs are 4 ohms each creating a 1 ohm cabinet.

2. Worse...most likely. The PR410HLF box is designed for the Eminence drivers that Ampeg puts in there. I've always found that the PR410HLF has massive lows anyway...

Car subs are pretty inefficient...and have a limited frequency response. You'd have a huge hole in the mids

3. It wouldn't be the best use of your money (IMO).

If you do it, I'd gladly take care of the original speakers for you:D
  3. Hey man, thanks for the insight. I appreciate it.

I wasn't actually going to do it, though, in the first place. I was simply curious.

Thanks again.
  4. Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Endorsing Artist: SIT Strings
    How 'bout the other way around? Would bass cab speakers sound good in a car?
  5. want to spend $300-400 per woofer to put in an Ampeg 4x10 cab?!?!:confused: :confused:
  6. No.
    I wasn't going to do it... I just wanted to know if it would work.
  7. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I used to run a cable from my car's amp into the trunk so I could connect my bass cabs. Some sounded fine (JBL E145, Eden 2x10), some sounded awful (Nemisis 4x10, ATC 15", actually the P.Audio 2x10 sounds better full range than it did as a sub). But they were all too loud and you end up turning them down at the amp.

I don't know why but I prefer the sound of sealed subs in the car. I built a 2x10 sealed sub out of super-cheap drivers that someone gave me and it works better than any of the bass guitar cabs.