1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Car trouble. Need help.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Jiggybass, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Jiggybass

Jiggybass

Nov 15, 2005
    Sudbury, Canada
    Okay, so my car's been great, and trouble free the whole summer, but now it's developped a problem over the last week or two. What happens is when it rains, or after it's rained, my car (2000 Hyundai Accent, 1.5L) Doesn't start too well. It takes a good 20 or so cranks, and then idles a between 1500 and 3000 rpms, instead of the usual 700-800 rpm.

It goes down slowly, and runs normal again after 5 or so minutes. But if I put it in gear, and release the lcutch any amount it stalls out during those 5-10 minutes.

My guess would be water is leaking in somewhere, maybe into one of the injectors? I seriously am lost on this one :(

Anyone know what it could be? Thanks!

2. Maybe it is because you guys use KPH instead of MPH.

:ninja:

When I hear someone is going "130" in a car, I expect that to actually be fast.

3. Jiggybass

Jiggybass

Nov 15, 2005
    Sudbury, Canada
    Lol, well, I tried going back on the highway, and convinced my car it was going 80 miles per hour, came back home, and it was still raining, so I restarted it, and it did the same thing :(

:p

Nice try though. :ninja:

4. Sounds like there is moisture getting into the ignition system.

I am not familiar with your vehicle but check to see if the ignition sparkplug wires, distibutor cap, Inside the distributor cap or related ignition wiring have moisture in/on them. Probably in need of a good tune up (replacing the old stuff)

If you dont see a problem when the car is not exposed to rain, its a good chance that is your problem

5. Jiggybass

Jiggybass

Nov 15, 2005
    Sudbury, Canada
    thanks man, I'll go check that out right away!

6. +1 to that.

7. flakeh

flakeh Banned

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Well thats your problem there! *points to distributor/ignition coils* You darn gotten water in that there ignition system o' yours.

Try checking to make sure all wires are shielded, Make sure there are no shorts, make sure everything from your distributor to your spark plugs is plugged in. Check and see if any wires are frayed.

Since it only happens when its wet out, Maybe water is getting in your fuel system. If its carburetted, try checking to see if anything is leaking threw the air filter. If its fuel injected, Try checking all the lines/distributors for leakage.

When I had a summer job at an auto shop, we had a chevy montecarlo come in with this problem. Turned out to be water in the fuel line.

8. IS there a distributor cap in that car? If so, that'd be my first guess, but I'm surprised it would do that after having run for a while... could me an ignition map / or computer related problem with the throttle position sensor or something ridiculous...

Good luck with that.

9. mellobud

mellobud

May 17, 2007
    Are you the original owner or did you get it this summer?

10. giantjerk

giantjerk

Jan 18, 2003
    Allen, TX
    I had a similar problem on my first Mitsubishi Montero. Moisture was getting under the distributor cap. I ended up buying a new cap & rotor. I also bought an aerosol product that you sprayed inside the cap to displace and prevent moisure build up, it can be sprayed on the spark plug wires also.

11. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Plugs and wires.

12. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Give it a good tuneup, including new ignition coil packs & plug wires. Clean the TB real well, especially the IAC (idle air controller). That should fix you right up

13. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    +1 on the distributer cap and plug wires. If the wires are weathered and it rains it could cause a short. If the distributer is cracked water will get into it as well.

14. Yup, check out the condition of the secondary stuff. Cap if it has one, rotor, if it has a cap, and wires if it has them. If you don't get anywhere, take it to a professional BEFORE you buy/replace every other part/harness involved. That stuff adds up quick and it's non-returnable in most cases. been there, done that.
    Josh

15. Jiggybass

Jiggybass

Nov 15, 2005
    Sudbury, Canada
    Thanks guys, I swapped some wires out, and it's better, but still coughing a little when starting while wet (been rain on/off all day here) So I'm having a proffessional look at it tommorow afternoon, just to check everything out since I'm not all that comfortable under the hood.

The car is actually my brothers, and he got it 2 years ago, used by one person beforehand, and it was in great condition. He's been away for a few months, so I've been using it. Has 137k kms, and really needs a tune-up. I'll post an update once it's back from the garage.

16. I agree with what others are saying - worn plugs and/or dist cap and rotor. Happened with my Mitsu this winter. Changed plugs, cap and rotor, and no problem anymore. My plugs looked really bad, BTW (worn electrode, huge gap)