1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Career Builder

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by powderfinger, May 27, 2011.

1. powderfinger

powderfinger

Feb 24, 2009
    So. the other week I made an account on this job website... just to keep my ears open for potential opportunities. I didnt expect much from it honestly, but the responses I am getting are very annoying.

I have had 1 life insurance co. send me no less than 10 "invitations" for an interview in the past 2 weeks. This is a job with no base salary, no benefits, commission only. I am not even LOOKING for a sales job, nor does anything on my profile/resume indicate I would EVER be interested in sales.

Ive also gotten a call from a local AFLAC for a commission only, no benefits, no base salary job.

Are these the only type companies that are seeking employees? Are they hard up? Are they just trying to hire as many hapless souls as possible to push their product without having to risk paying benefits or salary?

2. The fact that you're getting sales offers when that's not what you're after is strange. I can't that part make sense.

But most sales gigs are zero base, 100% commision jobs. At least in my experience.

3. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    You can expect a list of jobs that are recommended for you from CB via email. The site is huge, and does help people connect with jobs.
    Unfortunately, in this economy, there are sometimes many, many applicants for a single opening!

Hit the bricks, and apply to some jobs in person (or take the appl. home & return it a day or two, later).

If you perform 100% of applications by computer, your head will grow a power adapter and you'll start seeing icons in your sleep. :D

4. powderfinger

powderfinger

Feb 24, 2009
    Yes, I would assume many, if not most sales jobs are 100% sales commission (but usually with benefits).

My assumption is that these companies are out to hire as many working bodies as possible. But not sure...

5. powderfinger

powderfinger

Feb 24, 2009
    I have a job now, and Im not really actively seeking... I just wanted to keep my ears open, and keep up with what jobs are out there... ya know, for down the road. Good advice though. Hitting the pavement was the only method I had available for job hunting when I grad. college :)

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I have an account on CB. I used to get those annoying insurance sales e-mails all the time too. How thorough did you fill out your profile and your e-mail settings? Log in to your account and edit your e-mail preferences to exclude words like insurance, e-bay, work from home, etc. That should help get rid of those meaningless to you offers.

But tell me, did you ever wonder if there is an insurance sales person looking for a job somewhere on CB getting what they consider meaningless job offers for what you do? I wondered that all the time.

-Mike

7. I like snag-a-job. Seems to be a much better website for what I needed

8. powderfinger

powderfinger

Feb 24, 2009
    It depends. There are insurance sales jobs (and sales jobs period) out there with expense accounts, benefits, 401K, base salary (sometimes). But the only ones bombarding me (and others I am sure) are those which offer none of the above. In other words, the only companies bombarding me are ones in which you are basically an independent contractor. No risk for the companies. I have spoken to friends who have tried these sort of jobs out. They say usually these companies will hire as many people as they possibly can, and saturate the market. Most new hires last less than 6 months. They say most every business in town has already been hit up numerous times by "new reps".