Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carles Benavent

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Humabass, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Humabass

Humabass Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Just saw Chick Corea and Touchstone at Blues Alley in Washington, DC last night. WOW. Carles Benavent has always been one of my top three favorite bassists. Blues Alley is a great jazz club. You can sit right up next to the band and literally reach out and touch them. The club is so cool because the band hangs out in the club between shows and chats with people. I snuck upstairs to the dressing room before the show and saw him and the sax/flutist Jorge Pardo warming up and asked Carles if he would autograph a couple of his discs. What a nice guy. He put his bass down to sign and I commented on how beautiful it was and he picked it up and handed it to me! What a cool instrument. It was made by a Polish luthier who lives in Madrid and was designed by Carles. It's a semi-hollow 5 string with a high C, it was the lightest bass I've ever picked up, had to be about 5-6 lbs. String spacing at the bridge was about 15mm! Ebony board, ebony bridge, string through body, piezo and magnetic pickps and Roland midi pickup. It has mandolin frets which he says he likes because he gets more of the fretboard wood when he pushes the string down. He was playing through a rented Aguilar DB750 and Aguilar 4-10 cab. He had the DB750 set flat with no treble or bass boost. He says he usually uses EBS rigs in Europe. The performance was fabulous. In addition to Carles, Chick, and Jorge Pardo was the great Brazilian percussionist Rubem Dantas who is responsible for introducing percussion instruments especially the cahon(sp?) into modern Flamenco, and an American drummer Tim ? who Chick said has played with him off and on for years. I guess I should also add for those of you who don't know that Carles has been Paco DeLucia's bassist for 25 years and is singlehandedly responsible for the electric bass being introduced to modern Flamenco he has a unique style because for years he played a fretless 5 string (high C) with a pick although he now plays the fretted five. He can pull off mind-boggling runs,chords,and Flamenco sweeps but is ALWAYS melodic and moves with a passion that is so characteristic of Flamenco musicians. If you've never heard him check him out!

2. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Carles has recently become one of my favourites too - I've been working on some chordal stuff with a plectrum for a while, but he's about a million light-years ahead of me!

I heard Corea and the 'Touchstone' group a few months ago in London - really impresssive stuff. I hope they go into the studio soon.

I think Carles and Paco de Lucia have parted company now.

Here's a link to some video of Carles that was shot by Talkbass's own JP (thanks JP!)

http://bassbuilders.free.fr/04mmvideos/carles_benavent.wmv

The bass in the video is built by Jerzy Drozd. I assume that's the bass you tried? I have emailed Jerzy a couple of times about it - it is called the 'Barcelona' model and is eventually going to become part of the regular JD range. It's one of two basses that I am considering at the moment.

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Wow! He's quite a player...definitely my ideal use of a pick on bass. He sounds really, really good...probably a monster jazz guitar player too.

4. Humabass

Humabass Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks for that link, David. Yeah, that's the bass. Interesting about him and Paco. I thought it might be a Jerzy Drozd, as I thought about it. I'd love for him to make one similiar for me.

5. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Nice bass, nice playing!

I know Chick loves playing with him. The Touchstone band is quite amazing :hyper:

6. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
  7. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Chick Corea and his Touchstone group are touring over the next two months. No sign of a UK date though! :mad:

www.chickcorea.com

8. I saw Carlos with Paco at the Powell Symphony Hall in St. Louis a number of years ago. It was one of the most unique and surprising bass performances I have ever heard. Totally unique playing style and sound. Amazing concert. Then, on top of it all, he played a very original solo, in which he quoted a number of classic Jaco lines. Just stunning.

9. Arjan

Arjan

Apr 18, 2002
    Yeah, Carles is a gaint!
    I have both his studio albums and his live album.
    He also plays on a DVD with Paco

10. JPBass

JPBass

Aug 31, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    He is one of the most original bass guitarists out there. I have followed his playing for years...well since hearing his playing with Paco in the early 80s. If you have not heard him check him out.

11. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Before the fretted 5, he used to play a fretless Gibson EB-2 and sounded amazing. Check the CD Veloz from Spanish Saxophonist Jorge Pardo.

I read that Carles' solo album has two never recorded Jaco pieces. Does anyone have that record? The Amazon.com price of $30 puts it kinda low on my priority list...

12. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    not only he plays with de lucia, but he played with mighty CAMARON DE LA ISLA.

check out "potro de rabia y miel"

by the way, i got the aigua cd, charles on his own and didnt enjoy it quite as much... i might not "get it"... i happened with jaco´s jaco for a while... (not comparing them, just saying that i didnt get such a masterpiece, so if i miss THAT one for a while, i might be missing this one too)

ps. THIS is flamenco and not the claypool "fingershake" (although hes a cool cat too)

13. He's wicked - and he's using EBS too - all good man!

M

14. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Just heard that Chick is going to be putting out a live 2CD album of the Touchstone group later this year.

:bassist:

15. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Yeah where'd you heard that?
    Cause I think it's true : ))

16. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I occasionally post on the Allaboutjazz forums - someone on there has heard a preview copy.