1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Carpenters glue removal

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by ctregan, Jan 3, 2012.

1. ctregan

ctregan

Jun 25, 2007
    Syracuse N.Y.
    I am trying to remove a top, that was glued on with carpenters glue.

Here is a picture through an f hole, showing the glue seam.

6627175437_4e1d12e43e_b.

I have been using vinegar with a brush, then working it with a knife. 6627175147_15f77c9464.

It take about 5 minutes to loosen up 10 cm of the top. Thankfully, no mishaps yet.

So my talkbass question is.... does anyone have some tips, or methods, they use in these situations?

It is a nice bass and I don't want to mess it up. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. kurt ratering

kurt ratering

Dec 2, 2008
    waltham, mass.
    bass luthier, johnson string inst.
    maybe try warming the knife?

3. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Also brush your mixture on the inside of the seams, and tilt to help it work on the glue. No matter what, you are going to have damage...:bawl:

4. Cody Sisk

Cody Sisk

Jan 26, 2009
    Lilburn, GA
    Ronald Sachs Violins
    You might try finding a needle bottle or flux bottle to put some vinegar into and "shoot" onto the seam from the inside through the f-hole. Then rotate/tilt it as Arnold suggests. That might help loosen it from the other end.

5. Heat gun or hairdryer to warm the wood plus a hot thin spatuler and patience

6. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    I use a long-handled brush and work through the endpin hole.

7. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I find that glacial acetic acid is more effective than regular vinegar.

When I need to disassemble a glued joint, I often use the wand of a garment steamer to direct moist heat where needed.

Attached Files:

8. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Has anybody thought of the idea of heating up the knife blade, e.g., with a mild electric heater?

9. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Yeah - you could cut the middle out of an older style Weller soldering gun and heat it directly. Works great for heating frets for removal - oops, wrong forum! ;)

10. ctregan

ctregan

Jun 25, 2007
    Syracuse N.Y.
    6641237811_3534e679f4.
    Thanks for all the good advise. The top is off.

I found a stamp on the inside of the top that says Franz Wilfer. Could this be related to the Wilfers who made Jesuk basses?
    6641237957_e0917e79d7.

Here are some other photos of the bass. Maybe someone more knowledge than I, could add some input (date?). The only other tag says "Stradivarius Reproduction" and "Made in Germany" It is a well made instrument, with excellent choice of materials. Oh, one more thing; it has an integral bass bar (that is holding up well).

6641238195_03466d440d. 6641238079_74556b6cae.

Thanks again for the help.

11. jonas

jonas

Dec 9, 2003
    Frankfurt am Main/Germany
    Kontrabass-Atelier, Lando Music (Germany)
    No, they aren't related. BTW, it's Juzek, not Jesuk.
    www.wilfer-geigenbau.de

12. I'm wondering if you plan to shave off integral bar and glue in a replacement? I understand that this upgrade really helps to improve tone and projection.

13. jonas

jonas

Dec 9, 2003
    not necessarily.

14. ctregan

ctregan

Jun 25, 2007
    Syracuse N.Y.
    The top is in great shape, with no depressions around the Bass bar area, and, the bass has great tone. These two factors, tell me, to keep things as they are.

Also, the top seems to be a lot thicker than your average bass, but, I do not plan on changing that either.

15. jonas

jonas

Dec 9, 2003
    I wouldn't change it, either.

BTW: We have a bass maker here in Germany (Heiner Windelband) who makes all his *new* basses with integrated bass bar, because he likes to have no spring/tension at all at the bass bar.