1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Carvin Pickups and Electronics

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ProudPop, Mar 21, 2013.

1. ProudPop

ProudPop

Mar 20, 2013
    I'm considering building a Carvin XB 75, but during my research i'm running across concerns/negative opinions regarding the in house produced pickups and electronics.

Having listened to Brian Bromberg on his B25's, it sounds (to my relatively novice ear) that the fine wood craftsmanship is now matched by Carvin's electronics dept. Thoughts?

I'm looking for a fairly versatile arrangement with the ability to produce full fat growly lower tones (without being muddy) as well as crisp highs and mids. I'm interested radius pickups, but have no experience with them. (maybe rad-J in the neck and rad-HB in the bridge)? or stick with the SP's in both?

Finally, if the electronics in the B25's are so much better than whatever comes stock in a XB75, anyone ever request the Bromberg full electronics package be installed in another model? and how does it sound?

2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Carvin started out as pickup makers so it is not at all fair to say they don't know what they're doing. Fact is, some guys love them, some guys hate them. I have a couple Carvin guitars and I used to have an LB76. I am in the love them camp. A lot of "Shredder" type guitar players are too.