Carvin pro bass 150 combo???

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Dudie, May 30, 2005.

1. Dudie

Apr 26, 2004
    Any good for double bass? Its small and sounds good for e-bass. So the question is: Anyone with experience with the carvin pb 150 combo and doublebass?

2. Steve Bassman

Steve Bassman Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I had one of those for a while and it sounded okay with the double bass. I was using an Underwood pickup through a Fishman Pro-EQ at the time. The amp's graphic EQ came in handy and I usually shut the horn off. Some of the other features like the noise gate and the compressor were not very useful in IMO. That amp had some reliability issues for me so I sold it a while back. I now use a Gallien-Krueger MB150S or a SWR Workingman's 12 combo and I like them both better than the Carvin with a preference for the former.

BTW the new Fender Bassman 100 combo looks like it might be worth checking out (100 watts, 25 lbs.). Fender even says it's designed for upright or electric (a new marketing approach for Fender) and I have been impressed with their new Bassman series for bass guitar.

- Steve

- Steve
  3. jtlownds

Oct 3, 2004
    LaBelle, FL
    I have both the Carvin PB150 and PB200, primarily for my slab gigs. I have never had a reliability problem with either one of them. They both seem to work pretty well with DB. I keep the horns shut off. On one bass I have a Fishman Full Circle, and the other has a Schaller magnetic pickup. I use the Schaller pickup for rediculously loud gigs, less feedback problems.
  4. Dave Speranza

Dave Speranza Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    i also had reliability issues with a carvin rig. some people swear by em, but i would recommend against.