Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin R1000 Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by timidbassist, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Anyone used this amp? Well i purchased one about two years ago when i didnt have much knowledge of bass amps because i needed a half stack and thought Carvin was top of the line :eek: Well to say the least i am very disapointed with this amp. It doesnt have **** for power on an 8 ohm load (using one 410 cab) i realize its a stereo amp and would get twice as much volume with a cab hooked up to the second power amp but it still should have more than it does. If i want even a decent volume to keep up with my guitarist it starts peaking and just sounding bad. I really dont like the amp, but i may have some bad settings too im not real familar with all of the controls yet because i never really say down to learn them such as the compressor and such. Anyone use it, and how do you make it sound good? Otherwise is it common knowledge here that they are bad amps haha?

2. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Carvins are not bad amps - depends on the model you get and your own personal preferences.

I had an R600 and had the same complaints as you, plus i did not care for the tone. From my experience (in addition to the aforementioned R600, I own a Carvin FET 1000 power amp), carvin's wattage ratings seem to be rather generous. I had a 200 watt Trace Elliot head that put the R600 to shame - Trace's wattage ratings seem(ed), by and large, to be far more conservative.

But Carvin makes nice equipment in general, IMHO, though their stuff doesn't really suit my tastes for a variety of reasons. I would like to try out the 1500 head, though.

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    carvin through carvin is not good...

now, a carvin r1000 through an ampeg 810.... dear lord.

4. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    if you go on to the carvin.com discussion board under the amps forum....the people on that board also know alot about carvin stuff and are very friendly.

5. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

There is a local guy with an RL1000, Carv.8-10, and a Carvin 5 string. The whole rig sounded great.

6. Are you running your amp in stereo? It appears so, and that you're not using the second power amp. Try bridging the amp. It puts out 700 watts @ 8 ohms bridged, but only 225 watts stereo @ 8 ohms.

7. Nickelseye is right,if you aren't bridging it into that cabinet you are wasting all the muscle it has.I had that amp for a few years and the only time it sounded weak was when I tried to use one 8 ohm cabinet on one side of the power amp.Get a Sans Amp Bass driver pedal or an RBI preamp to use with the Carvin and bridge the amp into your four ten cabinet.You'll be amazed how much better it sounds.

8. Awesome, thanks for all the help! I dont have my amp here, its at my jam lair, so i cant look at it right now, but is there a different port i would have to plug the cab into in the back of the amp or just change the button from bi-amp to bridged? I never knew what that meant before so i beleive i always left if bridged, but i suppose if i have it bridged but the second power amp off it wont do any good will it? :D Now thinking about it, is that what will make the difference? If i have the second power amp level up with the bridge switch on will it bring the power up that much more?
    Thanks!

9. Yes,switch the button to biamp and there should be a different jack on the back for just bridging,it's marked on the back panel.Just one of the volumes will control the power,I can't remember which but the other one won't do anything so you'll be able to tell when you try it.You might want to go to Carvins web site and download a manual if you don't have one,it really helps.

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    As far as sounding good goes (vs. volume), I hear the Carvin amps have a steep learning curve, but once you get the hang of them, they're surprisingly versatile and can cop any number of sounds.

11. Thats what ive come to realize as well. I mean theres so much i can do to it, i dont know what to do to get it to sound good. I might hang on to it for a while yet see if i can get a nice sound before i go for a Mesa BB 750.
    Thanks!

12. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    I think I got some great sounds out of mine while I owned it. I even recorded with it running a cab, and did a mix of mic, and direct from the carvin. Sounded great.

It did take awhile to dial it in, but once I did, it was good.

Troll

13. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I played my new Spector NSJH5CM in this guy's rig on Friday. I thought his Carvin bass sounded better than my Spector through it. I now believe that some companies voice their stuff FOR their stuff. Ill bet my Spector sounds much better through my Mesa 400+ and 8-10 than his Carvin bass would.