1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carvin Rig Overview

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gatorben24, May 4, 2010.

1. gatorben24

gatorben24

Mar 8, 2010
    Ok so i posted here about a month or so ago wondering which amp I should get and such and I think I have decided exactly what I'm going to get but was to late to call Carvin last night so Wednesday it is. Ok so please look over this and tell me what you think

Buying Now: All From Carvin
    B2000 and BRX 4.10 Combo
    I'm going to try to upgrade the cable to a Speakon or whatever its called
    An 8U Rack at I believe 15" depth
    Casters (without inserts)
    Footswitch

Future:
    1U Used Rack Tuner (asap)
    1U Used Furman/Good Power Conditioner, hopefully with a digital read (asap)
    2 or 3U lockable drawer off ebay or something, suggestions please! (2 weeks or so)
    1U Compressor (Whenever, few months maybe)

Thanks for checking it out!

2. Meatbass

Meatbass

Apr 30, 2010
    Frazier Park, CA
    I have a B1500 head with a BRX410 cab. I also purchased an 8 space rack case to hold everything. It held everything well (for 5 years), but now I'm running into the problem that the rack case is too heavy and takes two people to move it around (fully loaded with the amp).
    I now have the B1500 not in a case (currently) and all of my rack gear in the 8 space. I'd really suggest putting your rack gear in one case and your amp in another. It will save you lots of trouble. Plus, if just want the head/cab you can run with that.

As for the casters, I made sure to get these casters for the cab and I am glad I did. Having the ability to detach from the cab is great and they work really really well. I haven't had one problem with them.

On another note, I have a Carvin GC200 Optical Compressor that has maybe 10 hours on it total. I just don't like having a compressor on when I play bass. If you like them, then awesome. To each his own. I'd just suggest playing with a few before purchasing one. If you're still looking for one, I'd sell ya mine :cool:

Hope this helps.

3. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I'd look at ways to reduce the size of that rack case. An 8U case would be a pain to move around.

Lose the rackmounted power conditioner. Get a surge protector and either mount it in the back of your rack, or just let it sit in the back. It'll offer the same protection as a so-called power conditioner and won't cost you a rack space.

Forget about the rack drawer. I had one for a while and hated it. They seem like a good idea at first, but they weigh a ton and aren't that efficient with their use of space since they're constrained to the rack width and depth. Buy a cheap backpack, throw it over your shoulder on your way in to the gig and now you've got your rack down by an additional 3U.

You're left with the 2U for the head, 1U for the rack tuner and 1U for the compressor. Wait to play the B2000 before you run out and buy a compressor. You might find that you don't even need one and could get by with a shallow 3U rack rather than a 4U.

4. Comments if I may. That set up will get old real fast. The drawer units are a waste and heavy to boot. I have two that went into my rack and just as quickly came back out again. Each one weighed more than my power amp! If you want one and will pay shipping from Toronto it's yours.

Paul

5. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    As someone that has owned and operated a few racks-
    I'd bypass the rack altogether. Get a bag for your head & throw a tuner & comp pedal in one pocket & your cables in the other. You'll have a lean n mean rig.

6. The amp and cab are ok, it's the amp case with all that other stuff - I can do without, too heavy. Less is better and more IMO.:smug:

7. Meatbass

Meatbass

Apr 30, 2010
    Frazier Park, CA
    I almost forgot. I had two speakon cables from my amp to my cabs. Both cables were broken in less than 3 months. They are bulky cables that don't allow any room to move around without getting damaged (or so it seemed). I'm running with regular speaker cables now.
    Looking up at silky's post, I love my power conditioner. I would get one with LED's rather than a digital display (I have both and the digital is hard to see in the sun).

8. I've been using speakons with 8 gauge cable for around a decade. I've never had any trouble with any of them. Sounds to me like you bought low quality cables.

Paul

9. gatorben24

gatorben24

Mar 8, 2010
    Ohhhkay! lol So I want a rack. Sorry. Not ganna completely bypass. Nothing against you. And Umm ok well does anyone know of any 5U racks that aren't a 10.5" depth and not insanly expensive. There's no like cord room back there. Or would that be fine? And I dont know about the surge protector, it kind of scares me with such a large investment

10. gatorben24

gatorben24

Mar 8, 2010
    How do these detach?

11. Carvin sells detachable casters, I've got them on my BRX10.4.

12. gatorben24

gatorben24

Mar 8, 2010
    Yes I understand but how do they work? Do they like twist off?

13. RNV

RNV

Apr 13, 2010
    Loxahatchee, Fl
    fEARful (I endorse them, not visa versa)
    Ben, they are like mine. The are held in by a self locking snap ring. The pull out with some pulling. You didn't like the BX1500 enough, huh? That cab sound great though.

14. skidrawk

skidrawk

Jan 21, 2007
    Space City, TX
    rack rails, plywood, skil saw, wood file, square, ebay hardware, wood screws, drill/driver, wood glue, sealer. Have fun!

15. RNV

RNV

Apr 13, 2010
    Loxahatchee, Fl
    fEARful (I endorse them, not visa versa)
    He is young, let him lug around some gear if he wants to. :)

16. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    If you positively need the look of a rack sitting on or next to your cab, get a 4 space. They hold enough gear and are fairly easy to move and will fit easily in most vehicles.

-Skip the power conditioner. It's a waste of money and space, of course unless it's just to go with the 'look' that you need because of the rack.

-get the tuner, and get a 1U rack vent/screen. It will up the ventilation in your rack and be more valuable than any of that other stuff.

-5 space racks are few and far between Usually custom or expensive jobs. I have one that's deep and heavy. Carrying my Mesa 400+ in it grew old quickly, but not as quickly as the shock-rack that it was in before.

-The best rack I've had and I've had more than a handful was a standard SKB rack. It's still going strong after being on the road fairly steadily for many years. The wood racks can get rickety after stiff use.

17. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    what is it that you think a power conditioner is going to do that a surge protector won't?

18. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Steal his hard earned money with little return? ;)

19. muddycreek

muddycreek

Feb 26, 2010
    If you buy the $300 one, it'll get marginal power into a more normal range instead of letting your gear brown out continually.

If you buy the $150 or less one, well, then, yeah, same thing as the $15 home depot power strip. Except you get pullout lights.

20. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave Supporting Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I would have to concur with the masses in this thread. The fact that people seem to be more focused on the "rack" than the "rig" should speak volumes. Might want to keep in mind that Carvins road cases are pretty heavy all by themselves. Not only heavy but bulky as well. I had a Carvin 4U and put it up for sale after a few short months. Funny thing is, the guy I sold it to called me back a week later and asked if I would buy it back because he didn't want to deal with it either LOL.

Anyway, if you do decide that a 4U will suffice, consider the Gator shallow rack. It fits my B2000 and the cords just fine.