1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carvin tRx Loudspeakers - any good?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by c2thej2theizzo, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Need a cheap solution for a kick ass drum monitor/ side wash etc... I'm looking for alot of headroom (for def drummers) at the most wattage per dollar I can get. Cant afford to blow any more nice speakers for def drummers. The best I can find in a single speaker is the CXarvin TRx 115N. 600W cont. 2400W Peak I have never owned any carvin stuff. -bass or otherwise. - mostly because i see cheap prices cant believe it and move on. And I hear a lot of horror stories about thier low line bass stuff. 15's failing etc...

Does anyone have long term experience with thier TRx series loudspeakers? What brand of drivers do they use for these?

I expect they will not sound as good as my Yorkville elites and JBLs, I just want to know are they as loud as advertised - can I destroy drummers ears and will they last when pumping lots of kick drum? otherwise what do you recommend for around $3-400

2. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    I owned some TRX153 cabs and while there build quality was really nice I was not a fan of how they performed.
    If you are looking for something on the cheap that will work as a decent enough drum monitor try finding a JBL JRX125.
    While I can't stand the JRX series from JBL, the dual 15 cab will at least work for a drum monitor with decent results.

3. Barisaxman

Barisaxman Gold Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    I would stay away from JRX...the horns require a rediculous amount of EQ to get rid of the harshness...not sure I want that anywhere close to my head. I think the TRX would do you fine...but if you want any amount of kick drum out of a single box I'd go with a double 15...or I'm guessing you'll be left wanting more than the box can give you. Even then a better drum monitor would be a single 15 and a small sub....as long as you're playing rooms big enough to control the monitor wash coming off the stage.