Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin vs. Avatar for a 2x10" cabinet...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Beav, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    I'm about to replace my beloved Ampeg SVT-410 HLF cabinet with either one or two 2x10 cabs(depending on how much I get from the HLF) and these two seem to have the wattage that I need for the price. I know this is a pretty involved decision to make just from a few facts, but here are a few major issues. I play mostly a 4 string, but occasionally I whip out my 5. My "sound" is mostly low mids. I like whatever cuts through good and has that gritty sound. I play a lot of punk and alternative rock. I don't want a cab that limits me to low mids. I'd like to have some lows(obiviously with the 2x10 things) but not a lot.

If you need me to post any other things that will help making the decision I will.

2. I have an avatar 410 and I think that an avatar would be perfect for punk...lots of punch! if you pull out your fiver and play hard on the B string it'll fart out...so I'd get a 15 to run with it...IMO I'd go with the avatar's on this one...but that's just me (and i love avatar)

3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    FWIW, I have tried a Carvin 2x10 (the redline series, not one of the new black ones), and I have not tried an Avatar 2x10, and I would buy Avatar...

The Carvin 2x10 just seemed like it was "trapping" some of the sound in the cab, and not letting everything out. I've only tried the one Carvin 2x10 though...

4. I have owned both the Carvin RL410 and the Avatar B410 cabs. I sold the Carvin to pay for the Avatar and was glad I did. I had a fender jazz 4 string that if I detuned to D the carvin cab would fart out. The Avatar had to be pushed much harder to breakup.

As far as 210's go, the Carvin will not work for your 5'er, the Avatar however may be a better cab but may still breakup just not as easily.

Your SVT 410 is a much better choice than all of these, I sold my Avatar and bought an 80's vintage SVT-410E and have never looked back. Just this past week I added an new SVT-15E Classic to round out the rig.

5. B.Hendrix

B.Hendrix

Mar 24, 2000
    Atlanta, GA
    Unless you need the money, I dont think you'll be happy with your sound with either Carvin or Avatar 2X10s after playing through your Ampeg.

I say you should keep your beloved SVT 410 :smug:

6. I tested both, the red line Carvin 2x10 and the avatar. I would definitely go with the Avatar.

7. Chapbass

Chapbass

Dec 11, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Heh, i guess im the minority here...

While i havent tried the avatar, i will say that ive used my 210 carvin cab with my 7 string conklin, and even with the bass boost pulled (on my bass knob, you GTBD users know what im talking about), as well as the bass knob pretty far up, my 210 didnt fart at all, and stuff on the walls was shaking of the storefront of the business i was at....

just my .02, YMMV

8. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee

If only I could... I have to sell it because I'm moving into a big city in which I hope to start gigging more and the weight of the cab and sheer size make it impossible.

9. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    i don't know. i would say the avatar just because not only what i hear about the speakers, but the customer service also. but yeah, what is wrong with your svt man!?

10. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The problem that you're going to run into is that the 410HLF has awesome low end and neither of the two 2x10 you mentioned do.

The Carvin is a 4 ohm only cabinet (IIRC), the Avatar is available in 4 or 8 ohms. I have an Avatar and was quite impressed at how it sounded alone, sitting on end on the floor. The only time I've played through Carvin 2x10s was part of a triamped rig with a pair of 2x10s, a pair of 1x15s and a pair of 1x18s (all Carvin).

It's a shame that Ampeg doesn't make an SVT-210HLF. On that note, the closest cabinet that I can think of that has nice lows is the Hartke 2.5XL. The 2.5XL is a slot ported 2x10 with a 5 in. midrange. All aluminum cones. Some people like 'em, some don't. Let your ears be the judge.

Another big bass 2x10 is the Eden D210XLT but I don't care for them.

There are others...Acme B2 has massive low end but is quite power hungry and has been described as flat sounding compared to an Ampeg cabinet.

Good luck!!!

11. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee

I love the cab in general, however I'm not too crazy about all the low end. My bass knob on my head never goes past 10 o'clock

12. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Oh...Ok, in that case, give the Avatar a shot!

13. RonnyBaby

RonnyBaby Guest

May 18, 2008
    What ever happened to Dr. Bass? Anyone consider them?

14. I have a pre-redline series Carvin 210, and it seems pretty boomy. If you want punch, I would go for something else.

15. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Are you kidding? With Doctor Bass, you pay in full, and get no cabinets. Seriously, for the story on Dr. Bass and the difficulties his customers are having in getting their cabinets, read this - part 2 of a 2 part thread. Short answer - people are paying him in full for cabinets that they never receive.

Here's the link.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=604914&highlight=doctor

16. bfc

bfc

Feb 15, 2008
    Fenton, MO
    You gotta try the Carvin BRX10.2 NEO Cab. It can handle the low B, especially with two of these cabinets.

17. I second that statement as an owner of a 10.2 neo as well.

18. I have a black Carvin 210 (Its a newish model). I like it, i never use it because I use a 412 now, but its a nice little cab, it currently is a stand for my Behringer combo.

19. PunkSweeper

PunkSweeper

Jan 23, 2010
  20. The Carvin BRX10.2 is an outstanding cab for handling the low B, I know I own it. Never craps out and sounds great.:smug: