1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Case for a Gibson Grabber G3 reissue

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JasonDraper, Jan 11, 2013.

1. JasonDraper

JasonDraper

Jan 11, 2013
    Hello everyone. I was hoping that someone may be able to help me out. I bought one of the reissues of the Gibson Grabber G3 a few months ago and I've been having a hard time finding a hard case that would fit it. I searched online and didn't find anything too helpful. I'm hoping to not have to pay $300+ for a custom case, and I'd prefer to not have to carry around a Coffin Case if it can be avoided.

The specs on the bass are it's 46" long and the body is 15" wide and 20" long.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    It will fit perfectly in a Mono, Pro-Tec or Reunion Blues bag.

3. JasonDraper

JasonDraper

Jan 11, 2013
    Thanks for the advice, but I'm going to be taking this on the road a decent amount, so I really wanted to get a hard case. I don't particularly trust my band mates loading the van with it in a bag, even a heavy duty one.

4. OmegaZ27

OmegaZ27

Sep 18, 2005
    California
    BUMP! Still on the search as well! (except that I have a '74 Grabber) ;)

5. SoLongJake

SoLongJake Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2007
    Des Moines, Iowa
    They may be dorky, but a coffin case will hold a grabber just about right, other than that, it's big dollar custom or vintage.

6. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
  7. How's the bass? Have been eyeing these off lately.

8. Jazzcat

Jazzcat

Jan 20, 2009
    Titusville, FL
    This is helpful. Danke.

9. Epiphone makes one. I have an Epi Ripper in it. They actually carry two cases that are identical onthe outside, but one is formed inside for a Thunderbird, the other has a wide open body cavity (that sounds weird) that accepts the Ripper/Grabber girth.

Best part, they're cheap. I got mine for $86! I'll look for it on MF and paste a link if I find it.

Edit: Musicians Friend doesn't have it. I got mine at a local place, and I've see them online before. Hopefully they haven't been discontinued or you find something else thats suitable.

10. Jazzcat

Jazzcat

Jan 20, 2009
    Titusville, FL
  11. OmegaZ27

OmegaZ27

Sep 18, 2005
    California

Isn't that for a guitar??? :meh: Then again, the explorer does have an abnormal shape so I might go ahead and give it a shot.

12. TobaccoRipper

TobaccoRipper

Feb 25, 2010
    Germany
  13. You know, I think you're correct. Sorry about that.

It seems as though the case I have may be discontinued as its not available on GC or MF websites. My case had a tag on it that said "Explorer Bass Case". It's identical to the T-Bird case but with a non-shaped body cavity.

14. b-strung

b-strung

Feb 18, 2010
    LA
    It's not a hard case but... Mono M80 works great.

15. funkytoe

funkytoe In Memoriam

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    All new Gibsons come with a hardshell case. Its included in the MSRP. If you bought the bass new from a shop, I would go back and ask "where the hell is my case?"

16. mr.mow

mr.mow

Feb 11, 2009
    Melbourne
    Endorsing Artist: BBE/G&L Basses
    Grabbers don't, gig bag..

mistergoats likes this.
  17. mistergoats

mistergoats

Jun 24, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    I ended up getting the Epiphone Rivoli style case for the ol' G3 Tribute. It fits, but it's a bit sloppy and the case itself is HUGE and looks like a keyboard could fit in it. Is it functional? Sure. Is it pretty? Nope.

I read something somewhere that the Epiphone Jack Casady case might fit the bass better. The following measurements are more for me so I can find them easier later, but have any of you guys heard/can confirm this?

• Instrument: Acoustic Bass
    • Length: 50.00 inches (127.00 cm)
    • Lower Bout: 16.00 inches (40.64 cm)
    • Upper Bout: 12.50 inches (31.75 cm)
    • Depth: 3.50 inches (8.89 cm)
    • Handle: Plastic
    • Arched Top: No

18. I've had exactly the same problem and went for the Epiphone Jack Casady case. It's not perfect, but I think it's a close enough fit to work.

Here are some photos:

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

mistergoats likes this.
  19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021