1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

cassette release?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by DaveyDeathKill, Dec 7, 2011.

1. DaveyDeathKill

DaveyDeathKill

Dec 28, 2009
    I don't really know if this goes here, but I didn't really know where else to ask about this. Anyway, I want to make some cassettes. Now, I know where I can get some made. My only issue is what do I put them in?

I've seen cassette cases, but that seems a little boring. Also I imagine it would be difficult to get album art in those little things. Since I'd be doing the printing myself, it would be a lot of hassle. What I'd LOVE to put them in is something like this.

mm.

I've never seen any cassettes sold in these big plastic cases, but since I'd mostly just be passing them out to friends it really doesn't matter. I love big, over the top cases like this. If anybody knew where to get something like this, I'd really appreciate it.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You should make sure your friends have cassette players. I think I saw one on Antiques Road Show once.

3. redhed

redhed

Oct 25, 2009
    Cassettes rock!

4. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    better get a move on, last i heard the manufacturers have stopped production of tape stock.

then again, that was a while ago. there seems to have been a bit of a retro revival so maybe there is a market for it?

5. Gear_Junky

Gear_Junky

Jul 11, 2000
    This is fun! I still have a tape deck in one of my cars and I still use it. Getting artwork on those cases used to be no problem :)

I don't care who laughs, but I prefer how cassettes sound (vs. CD's). And I prefer CD sound to mp3, of course.

6. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Why? Short of my parents, I don't know anyone that even has a cassette player any more.

Vinyl is one thing, I don't think cassettes are ever going to get to that status. It's basically a dead medium, except for large 2" tape recorders or mainframe/backup data use.

7. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    Really? Is it the hiss? The limited frequency range? The low dynamic range?

8. Cassettes are making a little bit of a comeback. Numbers of cassettes for sale on eBay are inching up. There is a recent article in the Wall Street Journal about the retro revival of cassettes, mostly among 25 - 35 y.o. men.

I'd say, have cassettes AND CDs made up and see which go fastest. I'd think you can scale the cover art, if you're using a computer, to fit whatever cassette case you come up with.

If your target audience is into cassettes (for the time being), why not?

9. "analog compression".

10. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    in the digital age, i dont see people wanting to buy cassettes. if your a big name band with a large number of fans and you use it as a promotion, i could see where some profit could be made.

11. gbazinet

gbazinet

Aug 11, 2010
    Maine
    My band is releasing our new ep on tape along with a digital download. We already have some preorders.

12. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    it's a sort of fun, cute, retro/nostalgia thing i think. at the time they were in use, i thought cassettes sucked!

...having said that, exchanging mixtapes with your friends, or making a really sappy one for a girl you liked was a sort of teenage rite of passage. that was pretty cool.

compilation CDs aren't the same! people just skip tracks if they get bored. mixtapes required a bit of effort...

13. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Or how you lose high-end response when the tape starts to wear out. Oh, and the squeak when the tape stretches. AH, that takes me back... :p

14. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    +1
    I do not miss them laying along side the road with a mile of tape flapping in the breeze ether.

15. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Or when the tape gets caught on something, and the player totally eats up the tape if you don't catch it quickly.

Or when the tape would get all warbly, and you take a pen and actually have to wind the tape back to remove the slack.

But I will admit, the cases were useful to scraping the ice off of windshields in a pinch.

16. BlountEdge

BlountEdge I play (mostly) jazz basses

Apr 15, 2004
    Former contributing writer for Bassics Magazine
    Try here:

Tape Warehouse Home Page

They previously stocked everthing related to audio/video tape and CD duplication, but since the general decline in popularity of cassettes, I'm not sure what they have these days. The store is located in Atlanta, but you can order online as well. Good luck!

17. metlman72

metlman72

Jun 29, 2011
    Long Island NY
    More so if you had the mono speaker casette player with only fast fwd. The dreaded flip to rewind. I think the record button was a little orange button inside the play button on them as well.

18. smcgov

smcgov Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Northshore Mass
    I have a Nakamichi Dragon, still play records and am betting if I recorded a record with the Dragon you couldn't tell it from the CD except that it's not compressed.

The CD format is on the way out and most mp3's are compressed, the current generation has been cheated out of fidelity by profit driven format changes....unless your using low loss digital which really sucks up room.

I bought a U2 CD at a thrift the other day and play it on the JBL system in our Highlander and the wife even commented it sounds better than the Cd.

there's a reason guys on here are mostly looking at tube or tube sounding gear and not "digital modeled" sounds.

19. smcgov

smcgov Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Northshore Mass
    anyhoo, to the OP...come on man, I've bought cassette cases to organize my loose cassettes super cheap on the bay, you have no excuse to send out something in poor packaging, it may be romantic but it looks bush league.

also search your local craigs for cassette duplicators...they sell those cheap. You can make several at a time.

20. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    You're confusing the recording with the medium. CDs do not compress anything. In fact, they have a substantially higher dynamic range than any cassette ever could.

While the Dragon was a great deck, which did a really good job of dealing with the inherent shortfalls in the cassette medium, CD is inherently superior in just about every respect.