CF Martin electric bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jaymeister99, Sep 11, 2005.

1. jaymeister99

Aug 2, 2005
    I just got a used Stinger bass by Martin. This company is well known for acoustic guitars, but I dont know squat about them as electric. Anybody know much about the quality or anything else about em?
  2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    All I remember is that they didn't catch on! Oh, yeah...I believe they were one of the first to incorporate a curved / arched body style to accommodate the beergut.

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    The Stinger line was intruduced by Martin int he late 80s. It was mostly mid priced Fender style guitars. They were discontinued, as they didn't catch on.

I remember reading an interview with C.F. Martin IV, saying that they missed an opportunity to enter the electric market in the 60s when it was starting to boom because they were having enough trouble keeping up with the demand for acoustics, and added that, had they jumped at the opportunity then, they'd have a strong presence in this market today.
  4. Mmmmmm......Beer!....... ;) Gotta get one of those!
  5. jaymeister99

Aug 2, 2005
  6. jaymeister99

Aug 2, 2005
    I did some more research and found a bit more on these. This is the sbx model I have, it was made around 1985-1989. Retailed at the time for about $369. I would imagine that back then this would have made it either a high end beginners bass or a "low end intermediate".

Basically its a P-Bass copy but with the routing done on the back, no pickguard. Nice rosewood neck. Unfortunately its a P-Bass contour neck, Im trying to find a cheap place to get a replacement j-bass neck I can throw on it.