1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

changing strings before a gig

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mobeme23, Oct 19, 2019.

1. hey there,
    i just got a new set of LaBalle 760FS flats for my short scale, and i want to put them on my bass, but i have a gig in a few hours. i know that some strings take a while to break in, but i'm really curious how they will sound.

should i just wait till after the gig, or put them on and try to break them in quickly?

currently i have some Dunlop flats on my bass, and they are good.
    but, i'm really eager to hear the LaBelas on it.

thanks!

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Banned SUSPENDED Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Flats you can.... BUT... They are usually a little grabby at first and need a little play time on them. They will sound quite bright compared to how they will sound after a bit of playing. If you can do without it I personally would hold off till you can make sure the setup is good etc...

3. AGCurry

AGCurry Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2005
    St. Louis
    Wait.

rtav, Joedog, zubrycky and 8 others like this.

4. thanks for the quick response!
    i was leaning in that direction, so thanks for the nudge.
    the Dunlops sound really good, and they are worn in, so one less thing to think about tonight.
    but, i can't wait to try out the LaBellas!

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Never thought of LaBellas or Dunlops as grabby when new personally. I'd say both are very not grabby :D

I think you did the right thing leaving the Dunlops on for tonight, although my Eucerin cream thread does tell you how to get a new set of flats sounding very thumpy pretty quickly. But it's such a PITA to change string brands right before a show regardless. A lot of times you have to do a whole new setup with truss rod, pickup height, intonation, etc. I find it best to do those things when you have a couple days to take your time with it.

6. Link to eucerin thread?

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    mobeme23 and ICM like this.
  8. JimmyM likes this.
  9. yup, very glad that i didn't fuss with new strings. i've got a few days to get my new strings dialed in.
    thanks for the tip with the Eucerin; i think i'll give it a try!

JimmyM likes this.
  10. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    I play rounds, but it's good practice in general to restring a day or two before the show any time you're changing brands or gauges. There's a good chance you'll need to tweak the truss rod and/or bridge height for the new strings, and IME it takes a little bit for the neck to settle in so you'll know what's up with the action.

11. PaulCISSA

PaulCISSA Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Northest New Jersey
    I’ll back Jimmy on this. Eucerin kills strings dead. But they still need an overnight to soak into the windings. Keep your Dunlop’s until after the gig.

JimmyM likes this.
  12. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Unless you’re dealing with a broken string, or a string you can’t get to tune properly, I’d wait till after the gig.

13. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I always make sure I've got at least a week between a string change and a gig - preferably 2 (multiple basses makes this feasible, even though I gig weekly).

14. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I like to wait at least a week before a show with new strings. Give them a chance to break in and also test to make sure there's not a defective string in the set.

catcauphonic likes this.
  15. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    A week? If I did that my strings would be dead before I even got to the gig. :D I will usually change my strings the night before or the day of (ideally leaving a few hours for the strings to settle at the winding posts).

16. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Ditto here. As much as I dig the new string zing, they would also require constant tuning during that immediate gig.

That said, I know a bassist who occasionally goes on national tours with a semi well known band (in certain circles), and he changes his (or he has them changed by someone else) for every gig of the tour.

17. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I think Flea does this. He also has a tech who sets them up and probably doesn't buy his strings off the rack.

18. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    I usually change my strings on Sunday morning after a gig to give them a week to settle in.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Considering Flea has a signature set of GHS strings, I'd say that's a likely possibility :D

One of the best stories about string changing is that Rick Nielsen from Cheap Trick insists that every set of strings on every guitar he brings gets changed out before every show. His tech must be the busiest tech on the earth with the 20+ guitars he brings!

Marley's Ghost likes this.
  20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Eh, not really. There are things you can do to prevent that.