1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Chaniging strap button location

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jfh14, Sep 12, 2008.

1. jfh14

jfh14

Sep 12, 2008
    I need to change a strap button location for relief of neck dive and I don't know how to do it. I don't want to just start drilling holes in my bass. Could use all the help I can get. Neck dive has plagued me since I got my bass.

Also wanted to throw in that I have a epiphone thunderbird.

2. dls59

dls59 Supporting Member

I had the same neck dive problem (not terrible, but noticable) with my Heir 5 string. I just carefully located the butt-end button up a couple inches and drilled a small pilot hole, then screwed the button in. No big deal at all. Viola! Neck dive greatly reduced.

3. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I'd swap the tuners out for Hipshots first. If you're commited to relocating the butt-end strap button, use a Dremel flexi-shaft handpiece with a small drill bit for the pilot hole. Gives you better control over the process.

Riis

4. Take some wide masking tape and try different locations for the bottom strap button by taping the strap on in different locations. Sometimes it helps to move it up (clockwise), but sometimes it balances better if you move the button counter-clockwise.

5. Green Mind

Green Mind

Aug 28, 2007
    BC/AB, Canada
    This. I could never figure out why people don't just tape the strap in the right spot first instead of drilling a billion holes in their bass.

Bace Waulkin likes this.