Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Charnett Moffet (with Stanley Jordan)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by FunkMachine, Mar 3, 2005.

1. FunkMachine

FunkMachine

Jul 13, 2004
    Dubai
    Has anyone seen Stanley Jordan's 'Live In Montreal' dvd?

Charnett Moffet is on electric and double bass and he does a fantastic job. Ive never seen a double bass played the way he does!

Anyone have any information on the "slapping" technique he used on the double bass? Seemed very unique to me.

Also does anyone have any info on the other work he has done?

If you get the chance to check out this dvd, I recommend you pounce on it !

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Charnett Moffet has worked with a lot of people, I also have a couple solo albums by him.......great player :bassist:

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...his dad is a pretty famous drummer, too.

At a local Jazz Fest, about 15 years ago or so, Moffett played URB in a 4-tet lead by Kenny Kirkland('Tain' Watts on kit & Joe Ford on alto).
    The 1st tune was about 20 minutes of the most intense Post-Bop I had heard...Moffett killed, no light touch on the instrument that night.
    A Jazz newbie was with me; he asked, "What kinda Jazz is this"?
    At that point in time, all I could think of was "Jazz with muscles".

4. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    It seemed before Christian McBride became the main doubler out of New York, Charnett Moffet was the cat they called.

5. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I saw him in London about two years ago with Herbie Hancock and Bobby Hutcherson. He took one particularly cool solo, running his double-bass through some sort of fuzz-wah effect - he was popping harmonics around the bridge and all sorts of unusual stuff!

6. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Charnett is amazing. I saw him about 10 years or so ago. I can't remember who with....maybe Sonny Rollins. He REALLY stood out.

7. scatman

scatman

Jun 12, 2003
    He's currently w/Kenny Garrett......monster musician!!!!!!!

8. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I also really dig Kenny Garrett!!!!

9. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    I've seen that DVD... he's great on both the double bass and electric.

The speed at which he does the double bass solo on the blues tune is simply amazing... he has an incredible technique for sure! :eek:

10. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Oops! Forgot to give a big thumbs-up to his playing on one of my desert island discs, Sonny Sharrock's 'Ask the Ages'. (Elvin Jones and Pharoah Sanders are the other half of the quartet)

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Beat me to it, Dave!
    That(& Seize The Rainbow) was yesterday's workout disc for me...was going to be my 1st post here this a.m.
    ;)

12. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Jim,
    this is going off topic now, but I just received a hour-long radio show on Sharrock from '93. Nice interview and music. He seems to have been a good guy. Copy coming your way in the next week or two. (+ a 40min Last Exit show on DVD! ;) )

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Geez...once again, I owe you big time.

14. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I caught Charnett Moffet with The McCoy Tyner last November (w/ Pharoh Sanders and Ravi Coltrane!)... What an expressive, forceful and powerful player! He got real middle eastern sounding on a couple solos... His facial expressions are pretty cool, kinda like the DeJohnnette of bass :D .