Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cheap 36" scale four string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EXH, Jun 25, 2005.

1. EXH

EXH

Jun 18, 2005
    Windsor Locks, CT
    Any idea where I can find a CHEAP (under $300) 36" scale 24 fret four string bass? Active pickup(s) preferably...

csc2048b likes this.
  2. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    Are there 35" scale 4-strings out there for less than $300? :eyebrow:

3. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    very hard to find

4. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    35" possible, 36", highly unlikely. Under $300 makes it kinda tough, especially if you mean NEW.

5. EXH

EXH

Jun 18, 2005
    Windsor Locks, CT
    Drat... what's the cheapest then? Or could I find a 36" scale neck... ?

6. LajoieT

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    36 is kind of an unusual scale, it's done rather often by some of the custom luthiers, but I'm not aware of any manufactured instruments that use it. The availability of standard necks would be an even less likely occurance. 35 is a bit more common and generally considered "Long" scale and conversely you can find quite a few of the "Short" scales which can be anything from 33, 32, 30, and 27.5 or so, and Knuckle makes 39" which is VERY long scale, but don't expect to get anywhere near $300.

Why is 36" important to you?

7. EXH

EXH

Jun 18, 2005
    Windsor Locks, CT
    Just wondering, really. Why not? :p

8. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Longer scale length increases string tension. That's good for low B strings, but it tends to make the high strings sound a little thinner, so it's a bit of a balancing act.

Playing my 35" and 36" basses, I generally have to be a bit careful to pluck a little nearer to the neck on the high strings to maintain a nice thick tone. Not a real big deal, and it's not really much of an issue playing live, but when recording you want things to sound just so.

It's not terribly hard to get a good sounding E string on a 34" scale bass, so unless you're tuning BEAD, an extended scale 4 string would probably do more harm than good.

csc2048b likes this.
  9. LajoieT

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I agree with doing more harm on the upper strings for sure, It's probably the ONLY criticism I have of my Cirrus (35" 4 string) is the higher tension on the D & G Strings.

My question about why 36 was to see if you were looking for a specific effect, I think you'd cause other problems, mainly getting long enough strings depending on your bridge and headstock layouts and the simple matter of 36 inch scales not being mass manufactured (IE, cheap).

The scale length vs. floppy B string is one of those Can-O-Worms issues here that will bring in all kinds of flaming posts and misunderstandings that cause usefull threads to be closed, so lets just leave it at saying that SCALE LENGTH is not the only factor in PERCEIVED STRING TENSION (IE, tight, focused low string, B, C, F#, how low do you want to go...)

10. NoNoise

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    I'm just curious. What companies make 35" scale budget basses? Thanks.

11. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    36 scale 4 string,vistually non exhist,why you need a 4 string 36 scale? :confused:

12. I'd say look around for a Peavey G Bass. They're pretty well in your price range (used, of course) and have a 35" scale.

13. this is exactly why I am a four string 34" scale guy... No "floppy" B's... Not "high-strung" D and Gs... Just a good ol' 34" four-string, tuned EADG, no problems whatsoever!

~Ryan

The only 36" I have ever heard of is from Carl Thompson, it's one of Les Claypool's basses. I know that Carl mase himself a bass, the "10 million dollar bass" which I believe is a 37". But hey, that's what the 4 grand is for, right?

14. NoNoise

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    Personally, 34" scales feel short to me. I actually love extended scales. That is one reason I'm having a Knuckle Quake built for me.

15. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    You can buy this,i liked this for myself....is a Bacchus,is for sale in Bass Central for only $1,499 and its 36 scale lenght and is 5 strings.

[​IMG]

16. That almost looks like a Warwick bridge...

~Ryan.

17. LajoieT

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Peavy makes 35 inch scale stuff, but for the cheaper grind NTBs and stuff the 4s are 34 inch and the 5's and 6's are 35. Cirrus is 35 inch no matter what, but they're in the $600-800 range used. Ibanez makes some 35 inch scales, I forget (or can't figure out) their model name/numbers, but they are the ones that have the more exotic looking bodies, NOT the Luthite ones or very low end. There are probably others too.

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Alembic used a two piece bridge/tailpiece long before Warwick existed,

So I guess you can say that it looks almost like an Alembic bridge.

19. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Wish will make you a brand new 36' one for about $300. But then again wish will making a brand new bass for you.Take that as you like.

20. EXH

EXH

Jun 18, 2005
    Windsor Locks, CT
    I checked out the Wish bass site for the first time the other day... If I ever want a really really ugly guitar, I'll be sure to go there, :)