1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cheap, appealing strings for selling a Palatino EUB

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by BarfanyShart, Feb 15, 2021.

Tags:
  1. BarfanyShart

BarfanyShart

Sep 19, 2019
    DC Metro
    I got a set of Red Mitchells on my old Palatino EUB 3/4 scale that I am considering selling. Nobody would want those strings, and I would want to keep them. So what kind of strings would you suggest to outfit it with that are on the cheap side, but would still showcase the bass well?

2. Helicore Hybrids or Pizz ?

BarfanyShart likes this.
  3. klyph

klyph Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Cape Cod
    Corelli. Robust sound, easy to bow, some lower tension options...

Chris204T and BarfanyShart like this.
  4. Ludwig

Ludwig

Aug 17, 2006
    Germany
    Stagg EUB strings are the cheapest useable strings.
    D'Addario Prelude are usually still below € 100.-
    Thomastik Superflexible or Presto Balance work good, but are usually above € 100.-
    After that, it is a matter of taste and expected usuage (pizz/arco/slap(

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
  5. Used Spiro Weich or downtuned Solos?
    Maybe a S42W set?

BarfanyShart likes this.
  6. If you have another set of strings, you might consider boiling them and putting them on the Palatine. We used to do this "back in the day" to squeeze more life out of strings. I've seen a few posts about building an apparatus using plastic plumbing pipe to give them a good soak. Also, I boiled bass strings in water, but there may be other liquids that give better results.

7. Look for a set of Helicore hybrids, they play well with the Pal EUB.

Francois Blais likes this.
  8. Maybe for BG strings, but I wouldn't try that with DB strings.

yodedude2 and OldFenderPlayer like this.
  9. This is a good job for Heliocores, they are good sounding strings but die in less than a year of heavy use. Boiling does work as well. I have used it over the years - you don't boil them long, though. It gets you quite a bit of life for Spiros. You shouldn't really boil strings willy-nilly, but it is not a bad thing to try once the string has been pronounced "dead". Then there is no risk. It something people warm about but I have always had decent results with it.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
  10. Find a dedicated pot though, the end result is not very appealing. :)

11. I use the same pot as I use for pig ears.

12. Please read the title again, he's only looking for strings that work well to sell the bass.

13. mp40smg

mp40smg Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2010
    Worcester, Ma.
    Not that I even pretend to know what I am talking about here.. but is the bass unsellable with the strings that are on it now?

and if you spend 100+ is that going to add 100 to the sell price?

If it were me I’d leave it as is and take a little bit less on the sale price..let the buyer decide what strings they want.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 8, 2021