Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cheap distortion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Flea666, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Flea666

Flea666

Apr 21, 2005
    Lichfield, UK
    i want a cheap distortion to finish off my pedal board, any surjestions??

cheers mike

2. define cheap. What kind of sound are you going for. Also, alot of dist/fuzz/overdrive pedals sond good or atleast ok until you start playing lower notes fast. So if that is something you do then that will narrow your selection alot. But regardless of what anyone says do not I repeat DO NOT buy anything until you play through it. Preferably with your own gear. Good luck and always remember that you get what you pay for.

3. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    You can find Sovtek Big Muff's used for around $50-$60. Not bad for a solid pedal.

4. Flea666

Flea666

Apr 21, 2005
    Lichfield, UK
  5. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    MXR has a distortion pedal that looks/sounds pretty cheap. I stole my guitarists and if its loud enough sounds rude.

6. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
  7. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Ibanez Phat-Hed. A bit noisey, but a great deal for the money. Sixty bucks or so new.

8. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    I thought the digitech x series pedal was pretty good value for the money, seemed to have some ok sounds in it.

9. Does distortion work for bass?
    I would go for overdrive, like Boss ODB-3.

10. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    To me the Boss unit is more like a distortion.

I love my American Woman. I know, it's left field. Try it though. Tone at noon, Gate at 9:00 and Drive at 1:00.

11. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Another vote for the Ibanez PD-7. Good sounds, versatile, cheap (music123 sells them for $50 i think). Can be slightly noisy when turned up really you cant go wrong for the price.

12. ritterbass

ritterbass

Oct 17, 2005
    I'd recommend that you dont go cheap on the distortion/overdrive pedal. It will sound like crap and muddy if you do....I have a boss odb-3 and it just has no low end or balls in a band situation. It's no longer in my pdeal board nor is the marshall gov'nor, once I got the Fulltone Bass Drive. It's a boutique pedal yes but I do it again for a way better bass overdrive than what all the other mass produced pedals provide....Save your money and get something a little bit more higher end you wont regret it. Try out the tech 21 sansamp driver, MXR bass DI 80 etc if you can at least.

13. ritterbass

ritterbass

Oct 17, 2005
    I'd recommend that you dont go cheap on the distortion/overdrive pedal. It will sound like crap and muddy if you do....I have a boss odb-3 and it just has no low end or balls in a band situation. It's no longer in my pdeal board nor is the marshall gov'nor, once I got the Fulltone Bass Drive. It's a boutique pedal yes but I do it again for a way better bass overdrive than what all the other mass produced pedals provide....Save your money and get something a little bit more higher end you wont regret it. Try out the tech 21 sansamp driver, MXR bass DI 80 etc if you can at least.

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    ya get what ya pay for

'nuf said

15. Flea666

Flea666

Apr 21, 2005
    Lichfield, UK
    i think im gonna try the ibanez bass distortion

16. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    + 1,000,000,000,000 etc.

17. Yeah, unless you get screwed on Ebay or something :spit:

18. Flea666

Flea666

Apr 21, 2005
    Lichfield, UK
    Either

Guyatone HD-2

or

Ibanez PD7

i tried the Ibanez PD7 today, i liked it, its kept bass and was quite gritty, i just want to know wat the Guyatone HD-2 Sounds like, does it keep the bass and sound more gritty?

19. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    +1 for the Ibanez PD-7. While you get what you pay for in terms of quality, I really don't like most of the od/distortion pedals I've tried on bass. In fact, until I tried the PD-7, I was convinced I didn't like distortion on bass at all.

20. Behringer or Arion. Both are around $20.00

...You get what you pay for...