1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

cheap low c extension in nyc

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by bassmastan, Dec 9, 2011.

1. bassmastan

bassmastan Guest

Jun 25, 2011
    Hi, I'm trying to find someone in nyc who can get and install a low c extension for a reasonable price. I already did look at upton which is just over the bridge, but I don't want to travel to much with my bass, and, I don't want to pay 1400 dollars for just the extension without instalation. Thanks - BassmastaN

2. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Talk with David Gage, Arnold Schnitzer, Bill Merchant, Jeff Bollbach, Barry Kolstein for price of a quality extension installed.

3. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    Cheap???...
    I don't think you will find a cheap one. And if you do, you might not wanna go that route...
    You probably wanna get something that works great and lasts for years without any trouble.
    Maybe, check out KC Strings. I've seen a few basses with those extensions and they seem to work well.

4. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    I'm pretty sure the price you mention would include installation. Conventional extensions (not the KC design) are built over the existing geometry of your bass, so installation is an integral part of the build, and labor the overwhelming cost. There are lots of competent extension builders in the NYC area, and prices vary widely. Just call around, and try to see examples from various luthiers. Don't think you'll find someone who will do it for a few hundred though. Luthiers have shop overhead and mouths to feed, like everyone else, and an extension isn't something you throw together in an afternoon.

5. Pay the money. I paid $1500 for mine, installed, and it's worth every penny. Besides, you don't want anyone to eff up your bass, so you need to pick a good luthier.

6. DC Bass

DC Bass Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Washington DC
    I'm with the chorus- Money well spent! Fourteen-ish aint so bad- I think Mike Shank asks twelve with a single gate at the E- not 100% sure if that is a current price though.

The LEAST expensive way to get that range is fifths tuning- no bass modification required- just a new set of strings...which you need to buy every now and then anyway.

Some stuff you just don't want to skimp on- like luthiery, dentistry and tattoo artists for example- get it done RIGHT the first time- there's a lot less pain in the long run...

YMMV- do what you like!

Joe

7. bassmastan

bassmastan Guest

Jun 25, 2011
    Thanks DC I'm willing to pay for instalation what ever it may cost, I just don't want to spend so much on just the extension. Thanks everyone for the advice, I'm making phone calls now actually.

8. DC Bass

DC Bass Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Washington DC
    Another thing to keep in mind is that most C extensions are custom made from the ground up for YOUR bass! And when you deal with one of the heavy cats like Mike Shank or any of the well known luthiers in the NYC area you can rest assured that your extension will work PERFECTLY...or they will work with you to make it so.

You are SOOOO lucky to be in such close proximity to so many great craftsmen!!! I gotta drive two hours (+) one way to get to Mike's shop- believe me, it's well worth the drive, but I'd like it better if he was closer! :)

Joe

9. It's over a year late but for what it's worth: Shank charges 1400 for an extension with just the E gate.

10. Provbass1

Provbass1 Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2009
    Try Dennis Roy- the BAssment, in NAtick Mass(ouside Boston. Very reasonable, I've had 3 put on my bassses over time-- 2 with low b's- he uses Rob Anzelotti's capo's which I think work really well-- has web-site, which you can Google

11. Provbass1

Provbass1 Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2009
    And Robobass is right-- you would be paying for the fitting of a custom extended fingerboard with with 1 to 5 capos, unless you want to with the mechanical, Stenholm type, which would be more expensive.