1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cheap Musicman Stingray Style/Copy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ThatGuyLewis, Apr 21, 2010.

1. ThatGuyLewis

ThatGuyLewis

Oct 29, 2009
    Hey, well I've now decided against getting a Fleabass after reading all the negative comments about them, but I still desperately want that stingray-style sound..

So I was wondering, are there any cheap (so 0-£350, sorry don't know what that is in dollars) basses out there that produce that kind of sound? because at first I saw the OLP Stingrays and I was like :O that's perfect, only to find out that the company has shut down, I then moved onto the Fleabass only to find that its shoddy, so I'm stuck on what to get now. :/, Any Help?

Thanks, Lewis.

(also, if possible, could they try and look as much like a stingray, because I think they look beaaaautiful... But its not a massive concern :D)

2. Why not buy a used OLP? They're all over the place and really cheap. Ebay usually has a plethora of them at any given time.

3. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    I'd say maybe get an ATK or look for a Vintage or Indie MM copy.

4. zhaddock

zhaddock

Dec 31, 2008
    Kasnas City
    Take a look at the sterling RAY 34 or RAY 35. I just got a RAY 35 a couple of months ago and I love it.

5. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson! Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    64 Audio · DR Strings · Source Audio · Hipshot
    I'll echo this. I recently got a 5-string OLP in a trade, and I'm really happy with it. I have owned and gigged a real SR5 for about 10 years, and the OLP has a familiar feel. It's obviously a cheaper instrument, but can be tweaked or upgraded to make it even better.

6. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson! Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    64 Audio · DR Strings · Source Audio · Hipshot
    I also have an ATK, and love it to death. It feels and plays amazingly, and sounds great! If you have the cash, go for one of these!

7. This or a used SUB.

8. Get a second hand OLP.

I own two. One I paid £130 for over a year ago, and another one I paid £100 just a month ago. I had another but that one didn't feel too good and sold it on eBay where it fetched £150.

I put Seymour Duncan SMB-4A pickups on both basses, and it makes a huge difference. Preamp optional, I put a SD 3-band one on my older OLP which is my main gigging bass. The pickup cost me around £60 I believe. So, for under £200 you can have a really nice bass.

I'll post a few pictures in a minute

9. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    I paid $130 for my OLP, with a case thrown in. That's the equivalent of 84 GBP according to an online calculator.

10. HigherGround93

HigherGround93

May 3, 2009
    Ray34 IMO play very nice, I have a stingray and my friend has a Ray34, I like it. Musicman SUBs are also nice.

11. Yakob

Yakob

Nov 15, 2009
    Philadelphia, PA
    Go for the Fernandes Atlas 4X. Great bass, passive, but it has a series/parallel/coiltap switch for some great tonal options.

They run about 400 dollars new, and they're easily worth the money. Construction rivals MIM Fenders and the feel is similar to Japanese instruments...

12. dionysusolympus

dionysusolympus

Apr 13, 2010
    ditto, and eat your spinach while you're at it. :bassist:

13. progrmr

progrmr

Sep 3, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    If you're looking for the Stingray sound, get a Ray34/Ray35 - I just bought the Ray34 about a week ago and it's fantastic.

14. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    If you're not on a tight budget, this is what I'd recommend. IMO ATKs and SUBs are butt-ugly.

15. for the same dough as a brand new Fleabass you can get a used made in the USA Musicman SUB

just sayin

and no they arent butt ugly
    4389132770_bf3be0b5a7_b.

16. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    Let me rescind my comment on the SUBs. I'm used to only seeing the ones with the knubby finish and weird pickguard. Those are ugly.

17. oh mine has that rough finish that I wasn't a fan of at first

But once at church I bumped the bass into the door on my way off stage and looked to see no dents no marks nothing on the bass
    After that I was pretty cool with it
    It reminds of bedliner for pickup truck except it does kinda shine on stage
    Pickguard swap makes all the difference

18. :D

This was my first OLP, and became my main gigging bass. It is one of the later models, with body edges slightly "squarer", not as round as a real Stingray, and the smaller bridge. The neck is wide, as expected on these basses, but shallow, really nice (in my opinion).
    When I bought it it looked like this:

MM2_full_oriwiththumbrest.
    MM2_body_ori_trest.

I removed the thumb rest and later I replaced the pickguard and put a black one. Then changed pickup and put a 3-band SD preamp. The pictures here show it with the black knobs that came with the preamp, but I have since changed them for chrome ones.

OLPMM2_full_SDelec.
    OLPMM2_body2_SDelec.

This was a nervous moment for me: ;)
    OLPMM2_routing1.

Shortly afterwards I bought a second OLP, here's both of them posing (in a group pic with another of my basses):
    basses_plus_rig.

So this was my second OLP MM2. It was a much earlier model. It was shaped very much like a real Stingray and looked great. Unfortunately the body was a bit too heavy, and the neck felt chunkier than my other OLP. It was nice, sounded good, but I barely played it. It was supposed to be a backup, but I ended up selling it.
    The bridge is the larger style one, and the controls were a bit odd: one volume and two tone controls. Later on they moved to a 2-vol (one for each coil of the pickup) and 1-tone.
    OLP_MM2b_f.
    OLP_MM2b_body.

Then one day I came across a nice black OLP with maple fingerboard... and I loved it. Only £100. Here is what it looked like at first:
    OLPMM2black_orifb.

I don't like white on black, so I got a black pickguard for it. But before that... here's a "scottish" pickguard I made earlier (I use it with my band sometimes, especially if playing south of the border ;) )
    OLPMM2black_scotfb.

But here is what it looks like now, with a black pickguard and a SD SMB-4A pickup. I haven't installed a preamp in it yet. It sounds great as it is, but I am aiming for a John East 3-band preamp this time... But not in a hurry. We last played out this past Friday and I used the black OLP as my main bass. It was great. The neck is wide and shallow like my initial OLP, like the later models, although the logo is the old style one. It feels really nice. It has the large style bridge plate, but the controls were 2-vol (one for each coil) and 1-tone. When I changed the pickup I disabled one of the volumes and I use only one, with the coils wired in parallel.
    The body is rounder again, more like a real Stingray than the later models. It's a great bass and for so little money!

OLP_MM2BK_bf1.
    OLP_MM2BK_ff1.

As I said... I love my OLPs ;)

19. Unfortunately when it comes to music gear (and almost anything else) in practical terms $1 = £1

What over there in the US costs about $500, ovr here in the UK you'll spend about £500, even if the exchange rate says we're paying double.
    That's why it's so tempting on trips to the US to allow a little extra cash for a toy or two. Even after paying import taxes etc it can work out much cheaper.

20. Labi

Labi

Jun 14, 2006