Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cheap Recording

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by ladros2, Aug 23, 2005.

1. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    My friend (also bassist) and i were thinking of putting together a few tracks, and were wondering what would be neded. He's going to buy a four track recorder, but what else will we need? We have a head to put the instruments through for tone shaping and a decent compressor, will this work?

And what 4 track is recommended?

2. bassontherun

bassontherun

Jul 9, 2005
    Are you going to record vocals, guitar and drums, as well?

3. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    Several basses, guitar, drums done on keyboard, and keys. We found a nice digital 8 track he's gonna get for €550.

4. This is a copy of a previous thread I responded to, I have not yet attempted DI recording. I hope this helps: "I have recorded band practice for about three years in the basement using a cheap digital recorder (Zoom MRS4) and two cheap condenser mics (Oktava) purchased on eBay. I convert the sound files to .wav using a free program from Zoom. These files are then edited using the most basic version of Sound Forge. The Zoom records on smart media cards which I download to the PC for editing, e.g. EQ, reverb, etc. Sound Forge is used to burn the music files to a CD. I have a sound meter which I use to measure the dB levels of each instrument at the mic's before the band starts recording, it has been key getting good balance. People are amazed as to how good the CD's sound. The CD's are not studio quality but they are good sounding nonetheless."